Space & Particles: What is the Metric?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space as a metric and how it relates to solid objects. There is a disagreement about whether or not space should be considered a physical entity. The idea that particles have no volume and mostly exist within empty space is also discussed. There is mention of the forces that control particles and how they interact with each other. The conversation also touches on the concept of space expanding and its effect on particles. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of understanding space and its relationship to matter.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It seems the consensus is that space is just a metric, but what is the metric when, we consider (solid) objects, i mean we think of objects as solid, but they are mostly by volume just space, can we say that some un physical stuff constrains particles at some distance apart? or that particles (live) in a metric, without even knowing what this metric is.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if anybody understands this question. :confused:

No it is a mystery, I don't understand a thing

OK, fine. I’ll take a crack at it even though I’m a complete amateur. Wolram is a contributor with 3k posts. I haven’t heard of space referred to as a metric. To me a metric is a way of measuring things. So I’ll assume our standard units of measure are suitable for measuring space. Do particles maintain a certain distance from each other? Yes! Look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle" is a great read for that.

Mostly Space
By space I think you mean empty and non-empty contains solid particles with a certain size and mass. But when you get down to that level, that kind of thinking doesn’t work so well. I’ve managed to stop thinking of particles having a size. I don’t even think of them as points. Instead I only think of the forces they have on other particles.

• Particles produce forces.
  • Forces control the shape of fields (like space).
  • Fields control the movement of particles.

Solid
There’s usually some thermodynamic explanation involved when comparing solids to non-solids. Let’s use a diamond, which is kind of like a really large molecule in that every atom has a covalent bond with its neighbor. You can see through it but you can’t put your finger through it. The bonds in your finger are electromagnetic but not as strong as covalence. When they collide, these bonds don’t break and no bonds are formed between your finger and the diamond. So they stay separated.

Un-Physical
If it has an effect then it’s physical. I think you mean unknown. I’m sure there’s plenty we haven’t learned about all that why there is an exclusion principal at all. But we have testable theories that make very accurate predictions. So that’s a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you hear scientists say “Mostly Space” that’s because an atom could be compressed. A neutron star is far more dense. Using that as a "metric", then yes, our atoms are mostly space.

hmmm - it is ALL space. eg, electrons are point particles - they have no volume, they do not take up any space. nucleons are made up of quarks, which are, again, point particles with no volume. photons have no volume. it is fields that permeate space, interactions of which result in all that we see.

jnorman said:
... electrons are point particles ...

I know there are interpretations like that but I don’t know of any testable theories. Are there?

thenewmans said:
I know there are interpretations like that but I don’t know of any testable theories. Are there?

The theory is that any fundamental particle, when observed as to position, can be isolated to a volume of space that is arbitrarily small. (You won't see its wave nature at that time.) Experiments confirm this to the limits of current technology. So there is an upper limit on the size of an electron, one which is very small indeed. So experiment is, so far, consistent with theory.

I would agree with the comments that ordinary matter around us, when considered as to its particle nature, is nearly a perfect vacuum. Regardless of how you consider it, all of the matter in the Milky Way at one time was compressed into a volume much smaller than a grain of salt. (Of course it was not organized into atoms at that time.)

thenewmans said:
OK, I haven’t heard of space referred to as a metric. To me a metric is a way of measuring things.

To my mind space is never defined, it is, in cosmology some thing that expands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space

Mostly Space
By space I think you mean empty and non-empty contains solid particles with a certain size and mass. But when you get down to that level, that kind of thinking doesn’t work so well. I’ve managed to stop thinking of particles having a size. I don’t even think of them as points. Instead I only think of the forces they have on other particles.

That is fine, i think i understand, but these particles (live) in some thing that is constanly expanding, even though they do not (feel )it

• Particles produce forces.
  • Forces control the shape of fields (like space).
  • Fields control the movement of particles.

Solid
There’s usually some thermodynamic explanation involved when comparing solids to non-solids. Let’s use a diamond, which is kind of like a really large molecule in that every atom has a covalent bond with its neighbor. You can see through it but you can’t put your finger through it. The bonds in your finger are electromagnetic but not as strong as covalence. When they collide, these bonds don’t break and no bonds are formed between your finger and the diamond. So they stay separated.

I understand that.

Un-Physical
If it has an effect then it’s physical. I think you mean unknown. I’m sure there’s plenty we haven’t learned about all that why there is an exclusion principal at all. But we have testable theories that make very accurate predictions. So that’s a good start.

AFAIK no one has said space is a physical entity lately, so to me it is un physical.
And if particles can be reduced to all most nothing, it seems crazy that i am sitting on a
chair that is all most nothing, and even i am all most nothing.

Thanks for the help.

wolram said:
And if particles can be reduced to all most nothing, it seems crazy that i am sitting on a
chair that is all most nothing, and even i am all most nothing.

Thanks for the help.

Particles can repel each other even being pointlike.
In order to interact, they don't need to actually *touch* each other.
So there is nothing strange that you are sitting on a chair made of zero-sized particles

wolram said:
To my mind space is never defined, it is, in cosmology some thing that expands
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_expansion_of_space
The "Metric expansion of space" does not mean space is a metric. It just means it can be measured. Quote: "The metric expansion of space is the averaged increase of metric (i.e. measured) distance between objects in the universe with time."

wolram said:
AFAIK no one has said space is a physical entity lately, so to me it is un physical.
OK but saying it that way is a little confusing. Un-physical sounds like no physics. And physical entity sounds like it takes up space.

wolram said:
And if particles can be reduced to all most nothing, it seems crazy that i am sitting on a chair that is all most nothing, and even i am all most nothing.
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. But keep in mind, taking up space has a whole different meaning down there at the QM level. To us it's just one thing bumping into another. Down there, it's repelling electromagnetic forces.

All particles are probably just mathematical models with properties and ways of behaving, but otherwise not the usual small piece of rock or dust as you may believe. How large is a heap of equations and parameters?

1. What is the metric used to measure distance in space?

The metric used to measure distance in space is the light-year. It is a unit of measurement that describes the distance light travels in one year, which is approximately 9.46 trillion kilometers.

2. How is distance measured in space?

Distance in space is measured using various methods such as radar, parallax, and triangulation. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for light to travel to and from an object, and using mathematical calculations to determine the distance.

3. What are the different types of particles found in space?

There are several types of particles found in space, including atoms, molecules, photons, and cosmic rays. These particles can range in size from subatomic particles to massive clusters of matter.

4. How are particles affected by gravity in space?

Particles in space are affected by gravity just like any other object. The larger the mass of the particle, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why planets, stars, and other celestial bodies have significant gravitational forces.

5. Can particles travel at the speed of light in space?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, particles with mass cannot travel at the speed of light. However, particles without mass, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light. This is why light is often used as a reference for measuring distance in space.