Can There Be Time Without Space? A Question for Discussion

In summary, according to Wikipedia, time is the measure of the ordered sequence of events from the past, through the present, and into the future. It can exist without space, but according to current laws of physics, it cannot exist without time. Therefore, it is possible that time could exist without space, but this is still a very speculative topic.
iDimension
So we know that there can be no space without time but can there be time without space? I want to ask here because I don't trust yahoo answers :)

I put it in bold because I want to know if it's possible, not if it's likely or anything, just if it could be possible,

Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
Wikipedia gives the following broad definition for time.measure in which events can be ordered from the past through the present into the future.

Without space, more important without energy, what events could there be?

Likes derek10
anorlunda said:
Without space, more important without energy, what events could there be?

I like the possibly more pity "without time everything would happen at the same time, without space everything would happen at the same spot". :w Energy is a measure of the states that a system can reach in phase space, the configurations it (can) cycle through, so it may make sense without space.

If string theory is correct, spacetime drops out of its physics. The physics happens in a configuration space, but it _will_ lead to spacetime at places (because it did). My opinion would be that the question "there can be no space without time but can there be time without space" doesn't make much sense re the physics.

iDimension said:
So we know that there can be no space without time but can there be time without space? I want to ask here because I don't trust yahoo answers :)

I put it in bold because I want to know if it's possible, not if it's likely or anything, just if it could be possible,

This isn't something that can be answered by science since our understanding of time and space is that they don't exist separately. So under the current laws of science, no it isn't possible, but this doesn't exclude the possibility that our laws are not correct. Since we don't know if our laws are correct, and we don't know what future laws will be correct, there's simply no way to know.

Also, since this is a very speculative topic, I'm going to close this thread. If anyone has any comments or concerns about this decision you can contact myself or another mentor.

Likes iDimension

I would say that this question is still a topic of debate and there is no clear answer at this time. Some theories suggest that time and space are interconnected and cannot exist without each other. However, there are also theories that suggest the possibility of time existing without space, such as in the concept of a "block universe" where all events in time already exist and are simply experienced by us in a linear manner. Ultimately, more research and evidence is needed to fully understand the relationship between time and space and whether one can exist without the other.

1. What is the relationship between time and space?

The relationship between time and space is a fundamental concept in physics and philosophy. Space and time are interconnected and form the basis of our understanding of the physical world. Time is often described as the fourth dimension, with space being the first three dimensions. They are both part of the fabric of the universe and cannot exist without each other.

2. Is it possible for time to exist without space?

This is a complex and debated question in science and philosophy. Some theories suggest that time could exist independently of space, while others argue that without space, there can be no concept of time. It is currently impossible to determine the answer definitively, as our understanding of time and space is limited by our current scientific knowledge.

3. What evidence supports the idea of time without space?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of time existing without space. Some theoretical physicists have proposed the concept of a "block universe" where time and space are fixed and unchanging, but this is still a widely debated idea. Other theories, such as loop quantum gravity, suggest that time and space are intertwined and cannot exist without each other.

4. Can we imagine a world without time and space?

It is difficult for humans to imagine a world without time and space, as our perception and understanding of the world is based on these concepts. However, some philosophers and scientists have explored this idea and proposed alternate universes or dimensions where time and space may function differently or not exist at all.

5. How does the concept of time without space relate to the concept of the Big Bang?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and zero volume. This means that at the moment of the Big Bang, time and space did not exist in the way we understand them. As the universe expanded and cooled, time and space began to take shape and form the fabric of our universe as we know it today.