1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space curve tangent vector

1. Jun 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here's a worked problem, I can't understand how they have evaluated T at the given point (in part c):

[PLAIN]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3725/97856984.gif [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I just substituted [tex](0,1, \pi/2)[/tex] into r'(s) but

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} cos \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \neq 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}. -sin \left(\frac{0}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = 0 \neq \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

Why is it that I'm not getting the right answer? Is there something else I need to do here?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

to susbtitute into r'(s) you need to find s at that point

4. Jun 17, 2010 #3
    Okay, but still it doesn't work:

Since [tex]s= \sqrt{2}[/tex] , so at point 0 for example s=0. Then

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} . -sin \left( \frac{0}{\sqrt{2}} \right)=0[/tex]

You see, it should equal zero. But how did they get "[tex]-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]"?? :rolleyes:

5. Jun 17, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"at [itex](0, 1, \pi/2)[/itex]" does NOT mean s= 0! It is referring to
    [tex]r(t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(t)\\ sin(t) \\ t\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
    so t= [/itex]\pi/2[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jun 18, 2010 #5
    How did you get [tex]t=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] out of that? Because by substituting these values into r(t) I got

[tex]r(t)= \begin{pmatrix}cos(0)\\ sin(1) \\ \pi/2\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1\\ 0.84 \\ \pi/2\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

And even if I set [tex]t=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] (therefore [tex]s= \frac{\pi}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]) in r'(s), I still don't end up with [tex]-1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] in the first row like they have! :(

7. Jun 18, 2010 #6
    You should get that,
    [tex]-\sin\left(\frac{\pi/\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}}\right) = -\sin(\pi/2) = -1[/tex].

t = pi/2 comes from r(t) = (0, 1, pi/2) = (cos t, sin t, t) and looking at the last entry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook