Space Debris: Questions from a Newbie

In summary, space debris, or space junk, is man-made objects that are orbiting Earth and are no longer in use. It poses a threat to human spaceflight and satellites, and is mainly created from launches and activities in space. Currently, there are no effective ways to clean up large amounts of space debris, but some proposed solutions include using nets, lasers, or robotic arms. Space debris can also fall to Earth when its orbit decays, but most debris burns up during re-entry or is designed to have a controlled re-entry.
Daulet
Hey there, newbie here. I've got some questions regarding space debris which I could not find answers on my own (probably because I'm really bad at it :( ). So here they are:
-Are space debris charged? Sort of thinking of photoelectric effect and solar winds, but last one doesn't seem quite possible because of magnetic field of Earth, although I'm not really sure
-What about density by orbits?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. What is space debris?

Space debris, also known as space junk, refers to man-made objects that are no longer in use and are orbiting Earth. This includes things like old satellites, rocket stages, and fragments from collisions or explosions in space.

2. How does space debris affect us?

Space debris poses a threat to both human spaceflight and satellites. It can collide with and damage spacecraft, disrupting communication and navigation systems. It can also pose a danger to astronauts working outside the International Space Station.

3. Where does space debris come from?

Space debris is mainly created from launches and activities in space, such as explosions, collisions, and intentional releases of objects. The majority of space debris is located in low-Earth orbit, but some can also be found in higher orbits.

4. How can we clean up space debris?

Currently, there are no effective ways to remove large amounts of space debris. Some proposed solutions include using nets, lasers, or robotic arms to capture and remove debris. However, these methods are still in the development stage and have not been tested in space yet.

5. Can space debris fall to Earth?

Yes, space debris can fall to Earth when its orbit decays and it enters the Earth's atmosphere. Most debris burns up during re-entry, but larger pieces can survive and potentially cause damage on the ground. To reduce this risk, spacecraft and satellites are designed to have a controlled re-entry or to burn up completely upon re-entry.