Space Elevator Rope: Homework Solution & Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of n' in the equation n'2+n' = (8 pi G p)/(3 w^2) in order to keep a long rope with uniform mass density above the same point on the equator at all times. The attempt at a solution involved finding dr/dm and dT/dr to solve for T, but the algebra became too messy. It was also suggested to use a differential equation to consider the change in tension along an element of the rope. The equation me = (4*pi*R^3*p)/(3*r^2) was discussed, with confusion surrounding the division by r^2.
LonePhysicist

Homework Statement

Consider a long rope with uniform mass density extending radially from just above the surface of the Earth to a radius of n'R. Show that if the rope is to remain above the same point on the equator at all times, then n' must be given by

n'2+n' = (8 pi G p)/(3 w^2) G is the gravitational constant, p is the density of earth.

Homework Equations

w^2*r*m = m*me*G/r^2 + T (what I assume to be true)
me = (4*pi*R^3*p)/(3*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried finding dr/dm but having the issue of not knowing T because that varies with r. Also tried dT/dr / dT/dm but the algebra became too messy after eliminating T from the problem and the integrals that resulted make no sense, such as integrating mass without initial conditions and using density = m/l, this substitution did not yield promising results after integrating. Also taken consideration of finding the point of Maximum T by using dT/dr and setting that equal to 0, but the answer does not give insight into of n' (I assumed this was half the height originally, but this is not true from what I have found.)

Physics news on Phys.org
In your equation in part 2 of the template, what are you using as r and R?
Is that R= radius of Earth and r=n'R= distance from center of Earth to top of rope? Or vice versa?

LonePhysicist said:
w^2*r*m = m*me*G/r^2 + T
Shouldn't that be a differential equation? I.e. consider an element of the rope height dr. What is the change in tension along it?
LonePhysicist said:
me = (4*pi*R^3*p)/(3*r^2)
If the left hand side stands for Me, the mass of the Earth, why the division by r2?

1. What is a space elevator rope?

A space elevator rope is a theoretical concept that involves using a long cable or tether to transport people or objects from the Earth's surface to space without the use of rockets. It would be anchored to the Earth at one end and to a counterweight in space at the other end.

2. How does a space elevator rope work?

The space elevator rope would work by using the Earth's rotation and centrifugal force to keep the cable taut. This would allow for a climber or elevator to travel along the cable from the Earth to space. The counterweight in space would balance out the weight of the cable and provide stability.

3. What materials would be used to make a space elevator rope?

The ideal material for a space elevator rope would need to be incredibly strong, lightweight, and able to withstand the harsh conditions of space. Currently, carbon nanotubes are the most promising material for this purpose, although further research and development are needed.

4. What equations are used to calculate the strength of a space elevator rope?

The strength of a space elevator rope would be determined by several factors, including the material used, the length of the cable, and the forces acting on it. Some of the equations that may be used include the Young's modulus, stress and strain equations, and the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation.

5. What are the potential benefits of a space elevator rope?

A space elevator rope could significantly reduce the cost and energy required for space travel, as it would eliminate the need for rockets. It could also make space exploration and tourism more accessible and sustainable. Additionally, a space elevator could serve as a platform for launching satellites and conducting research in space.