Space Elevator to Solve World's Energy Shortage

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for a space elevator to generate electricity using carbon nanotubes. While there are concerns about the nanotubes melting and handling high amounts of electricity, there is also discussion of potential solutions and resources for further research on the topic.
WarrenPlatts
If carbon nanotubes are great conductors, and if a wire moved through a magnetic field generates electricity, then a space elevator constructed out of carbon nanotubes should be able to generate a lot of electricity.

Maybe too much. I think the carbon nanotubes would melt. Indeed, if there is a "showstopper" for the space elevator concept, this is probably it.:grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Carbon nanotubes are 6x times stronger then Iron I don't think they'll melt too easily anyway we should be able to control the amount of eletricty that goes though them.

... the Earth doesn't exactly have a large magnetic flux density...

Pengwuino said:
... the Earth doesn't exactly have a large magnetic flux density...
Well, I'm thinking of the NASA tether experiment where they extended a tether from a space shuttle and it burned up because the current was too much. If a tether a few hundred yards can't handle all those amps out there, how can we expect a 50,000 mile tether to handle it?

What are you talking about?

Well I guess I am once against amazed at the power of this planet.

What is a space elevator?

A space elevator is a proposed structure that would allow for transportation between the surface of the Earth and space without the use of rockets. It would consist of a cable tethered to the Earth's surface and extending into space, with a counterweight at the other end to keep the cable taut.

How would a space elevator solve the world's energy shortage?

A space elevator would allow for the transportation of materials and resources from space, including solar energy. With an endless supply of solar energy from space, the world's energy shortage could be solved.

What challenges need to be overcome to build a space elevator?

There are several challenges that need to be addressed before a space elevator can be built. These include finding a suitable material for the cable that is strong enough to withstand the stress of the Earth's gravity, developing the technology to transport materials and people up and down the cable, and ensuring the safety of the structure in the event of natural disasters or space debris.

How much would it cost to build a space elevator?

The cost of building a space elevator is difficult to estimate as it would depend on many factors such as the materials used, the technology developed, and the location of the structure. Some estimates suggest it could cost anywhere from tens of billions to trillions of dollars.

Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to building a space elevator?

There are several potential risks and drawbacks to building a space elevator. These include the high cost of construction, the possibility of accidents during transportation, and the potential impact on the Earth's rotation and gravitational pull. There are also concerns about the environmental impact and potential disruption to natural habitats during construction and operation.