Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space Elevator to Solve World's Energy Shortage

1. Nov 12, 2005 #1
    If carbon nanotubes are great conductors, and if a wire moved through a magnetic field generates electricity, then a space elevator constructed out of carbon nanotubes should be able to generate a lot of electricity.

Maybe too much. I think the carbon nanotubes would melt. Indeed, if there is a "showstopper" for the space elevator concept, this is probably it.:grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2005 #2
    Carbon nanotubes are 6x times stronger then Iron I don't think they'll melt too easily anyway we should be able to control the amount of eletricty that goes though them.

4. Nov 12, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

... the earth doesn't exactly have a large magnetic flux density...

5. Nov 13, 2005 #4
    Well, I'm thinking of the NASA tether experiment where they extended a tether from a space shuttle and it burned up because the current was too much. If a tether a few hundred yards can't handle all those amps out there, how can we expect a 50,000 mile tether to handle it?

6. Nov 13, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What are you talking about?

7. Nov 13, 2005 #6

GENIERE

Science Advisor

8. Nov 13, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well I guess im once against amazed at the power of this planet.

9. Dec 2, 2005 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?