Understanding the Role of Space Energy Propagator in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the spacetime propagator ##G^+(x, y, E)## is introduced as a representation in terms of energy eigenfunctions and is used to solve the time-dependent Schrödinger equation for arbitrary initial-value problems. It is also known as the retarded Green's function and is related to the Fourier transform of ##G(x, y, t)##.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
What is the space energy propagator?
This is section 16.3 of QFT for the Gifted Amateur. I understand the concept of the spacetime propagator ##G^+(x, t, x', t')##, but the following propagator is introduced without any explanation I can see:
$$G^+(x, y, E) = \sum_n \frac{i\phi_n(x)\phi_n^*(y)}{E - E_n}$$
It would be good to have an explanation of what this is and what role it plays. Thanks.

Likes JD_PM
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the representation of the "spacetime propagtor" in terms of energy eigenfunctions. It's quite easy to prove. I'd like to write ##\tilde{G}^+(x,y,E)##, because it's a different function than ##G^+(x,t,x',t')##. You have of course
$$G^+(x,t,x',t')=G^+(x,x',t-t'),$$
because obviously the textbook author considers a Hamiltonian that's not explicitly time dependent and thus the system is time-translation invariant. Then you have
$$G^+(x,t,x',t')=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \frac{\mathrm{d} E}{2 \pi} G^+(x,x',E) \exp[-\mathrm{i} E(t-t')]. \qquad (**)$$
Further I also guess that ##G^+## is the retarded propagator. It's necessary to know that, because the definition of ##\tilde{G}^+## is incomplete without telling, how to deal with the poles at ##E=E_n##. For the retarded propgator you get
$$\tilde{G}^{+}(x,y,E)=\sum_n \frac{\mathrm{i} \phi_n(x) \phi_n^*(y)}{E-E_n+\mathrm{i} 0^+}. \qquad (*)$$
Then you have
$$(\mathrm{i} \partial_t -\hat{H}) G^+(x,t,x',t') = \int_{\mathrm{R}} \frac{\mathrm{d} E}{2 \pi} \exp[-\mathrm{i} E (t-t')] [E-\hat{H}] \sum_n \frac{\mathrm{i} \phi_n(x) \phi_n(x')}{E-E_n + \mathrm{i} 0^+} =\int_{\mathrm{R}} \frac{\mathrm{d} E}{2 \pi} \exp[-\mathrm{i} E (t-t')] \sum_n \mathrm{i} \psi_n(x) \psi_n^*(x') = \mathrm{i} \delta(t-t') \delta^{(3)}(\vec{x}-\vec{x}').$$
In the last step I've used the completeness of the energy eigenbasis.

With the choice of the regularization of the poles given (*), ##G^+## is choosen to be the retarded Green's function, i.e.,
$$G^+(x,t,x',t') \propto \Theta(t-t'),$$
as one can see, when taking the Fourier integral in (**) by closing the integration path in the complex energy plane with a large circle. For ##t-t'>0## you have to close the circle in the lower plane, including all the poles. So there you get some non-zero value, but for ##t-t'<0## you have to close the contour in the upper plane, and this gives 0, because there are no poles in the upper plane (thanks to the ##+\mathrm{i} 0^+## in the denominator). For ##t-t'<0## you can solve the integral very easily using the Theorem of Residues, leading finally to
$$G^+(x,t,x',t')=\Theta(t-t') \sum_{n} \phi_n(x) \phi_n^*(x') \exp[-\mathrm{i} E_n(t-t')].$$
Using ##\partial_t \Theta(t-t')=\delta(t-t')## it's easy to show again that this is indeed the retarded Green's function using the completeness of the energy eigenbasis.

• Informative
Likes JD_PM and PeroK
Thanks. So, to summarise: ##\tilde G(x, y, E)## is the Fourier transform of ##G(x, y, t)##.

Where would you use ##\tilde G(x, y, E)##? Is it an intermediate stepping stone to get to ##G(p, E)##?

It's always useful, if you have solved the energy eigenvalueproblem (i.e., the time-dependent Schrödinger equation). Then you can use it to describe arbitrary initial-value problems for the Schrödinger equation by expanding the solution in energy eigenfunctions.

1. What is a space energy propagator?

A space energy propagator is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to describe the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in space. It takes into account the interactions between the particle and the surrounding energy fields.

2. How does the space energy propagator contribute to quantum field theory?

The space energy propagator is a crucial component of quantum field theory as it helps to calculate the amplitudes of various particle interactions. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of particles in different energy states and their interactions with the surrounding fields.

3. What is the significance of space energy propagator in quantum field theory?

The space energy propagator is significant because it provides a way to mathematically describe the behavior of particles in quantum field theory. It allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions with energy fields, which can then be tested and verified through experiments.

4. How is the space energy propagator calculated?

The space energy propagator is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which represent the various possible paths a particle can take from one point to another. These diagrams involve complex mathematical equations that take into account the interactions between the particle and the surrounding energy fields.

5. What are the applications of understanding the role of space energy propagator in quantum field theory?

Understanding the role of space energy propagator in quantum field theory has numerous applications in physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. It also has practical applications in technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.