1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space Engineer yay or nay?

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    Is it a serious education?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

You mean like interior decorating? :tongue2:

I understand that aerospace / aeronautical engineering is pretty intense, but you may want to elaborate on your question a little.

4. Mar 29, 2009 #3
  5. Mar 29, 2009 #4
    Is this a serious question?

6. Mar 29, 2009 #5

djeitnstine

Gold Member

What would you like to know??

7. Mar 30, 2009 #6
    like can you get work with that?

8. Mar 30, 2009 #7

djeitnstine

Gold Member

There is a larger industry than you think. Also that is a subjective question, depends on how good of one you are =]

9. Mar 31, 2009 #8
    http://www.yorku.ca/web/futurestudents/programs/template.asp?id=392 [Broken]

"York is the only university in Canada offering this program!"

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Apr 1, 2009 #9
  11. Apr 2, 2009 #10

Depends...where would you like to work?

12. Apr 2, 2009 #11
    i dont really care as long i get to build spaceships and stuff like that...

but seriously satellies maybe a rover? doesnt matter where.

13. Apr 2, 2009 #12
    How old are you? Just curious.

I'm assuming you'd want to work for NASA or its contractors?

14. Apr 3, 2009 #13

18 i actually just want to get the degree and not work. just study something else.

15. Apr 3, 2009 #14
    I'm very confused about what you actually want to do with your life, but good luck with it.

16. Apr 4, 2009 #15
    Can you actually work at NASA as an immigrant? Thought I read somewhere you have to be born in the USA.

17. Apr 4, 2009 #16

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I think the only US Government job to which that applies is the head job: President of the US (conspiracy theories about the current president aside). As an example, Werner von Braun wasn't born in the US. Neither is a friend of a friend who worked for United Space Alliance (primary contractor to NASA).

This thread (and the OP's responses / questions) is rather confusing. But as another poster says, good luck with that...

18. Apr 4, 2009 #17
    thats rubbish i know lots of Iranians that work for NASA and they were born in Iran. luckily i was born in USA but i was raised in sweden.

19. Apr 4, 2009 #18

Hah, well von Braun is a very unique case as he's essentially a human tool that struck a deal with the U.S. in a rather covert operation.

For most normal circumstances, unless you're a genius/technology leader of your field, I wouldn't count on immediate access to most of the security clearance jobs in the U.S if you don't at least have a U.S. citizenship

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook