Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space flight sim with realistic physics

1. Nov 29, 2003 #1
    It's called Orbiter, and you can get a free copy here:

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/~martins/orbit/orbit.html

Fly several different spacecraft (both VTOL and HTOL) around the solar system. The learning curve is very steep due to the physics engine; you can't get to the moon just by aiming and accelerating. :D

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2003 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh damn you for posting that link when final projects are due...

damn damn damn

Welcome to the forums, BTW!

4. Nov 30, 2003 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This looks amazing. I wish someone had the foresight to make a "game" like this for PlayStation. Jesus, you know it'd sell.

- Warren

5. Nov 30, 2003 #4

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've played around with an eariler version. Docked with the ISS. made it to the moon (but without enough fuel to make it home:frown: ) That version had a few shortcomings: you couldn't save your progress, so every flight had to be done in one session. (made it hard to make interplanetary trips) It wouldn't display orbital eccentricities greater than 1. and a couple of other things.

I downloaded an upgraded version a while back, but it seemed to have conlict problems with my system.

I've just downloaded the newest upgrade, and so far it doesn't seem to suffer from the same conflicts. I look forward to playing around with this newest version.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?