Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space Geometry

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    I know that there are people with the idea that at great scales in space gravity is repulsive. Could someone tell me how this fits with the geometry of space. It is clearly bad news for GR if this is correct. How does repulsive gravity shape the geometry of space if indeed it does?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The observational evidence (based on type Ia supernovae) is that the expansion of the universe is speeding up - that's where the idea of repulsion comes in. This is consistent with GR when Einstein's cosmological constant is included in the equations.

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3
    So if it were found to be true that on great scales gravity is indeed repulsive it does fit in with GR if the cc is included, good. But I can imagine GR geometry shaping space in my mind right now. To imagine repulsive gravity shaping space do I just turn this picture upside-down?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?