Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space navigation AI problem

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1
    Hi,

In the future I want to make a realistic game set in space. Part of the realism is physics and sizes/distances.

Thus, one of the things I want to have solved before I even begin on designing the game graphically is that of navigation.

Navigation will be done primarily through AI; i.e. the player will tell the ship where to go and it will go there.

Before I even get into 3D, I must solve the problem of navigation in the 2D.

I already pretty much have the equation for what the AI would do if there isn't any near solar masses to effect it gravity.

What I have so far is this:
    If the ship is already pointing in the direction it wants to go:

a = acceleration
    d = distance
    ra = rotational acceleration

1: forward thrust for t = sqrt(2*d/a)/2 - sqrt(pi/ra)
    2: rotational thrust for t = sqrt(pi/ra)
    3: negative rotational thrust for t = sqrt(pi/ra)
    4: forward thrust for t = sqrt(2*d/a)/2 - sqrt(pi/ra)

to explain:
    1: accelerate toward target
    2: half way there minus half the amount of time it'll take to turn around, start turning around faster
    3: slow down the rotation to that the ship is facing the 180 degrees from original direction
    4: slow down the ship to stop at the point you wanted.

Pretty simple.

But now comes the problem of gravity. How can I have a navigation AI account for the effects of gravity of nearby planets, moons, and the sun?

Since the effects are negligible, I won't worry about other ships or other masses.

If anyone can solve this for me, or even just point me in the right direction... feel free to post!

Thanks

Edit: PS, this is assuming ships with only rear primary thrusters and small side thrusters for rotation.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted