What can we expect from SNC '07 at the 2007 ANS Annual Meeting?

In summary, the Space Nuclear Conference 2007 (SNC '07) will be held from June 24-28, 2007 in Boston, MA as part of the Embedded Topical Meeting at the 2007 ANS Annual Meeting. The Call for Papers is expected to be released soon, and there will be a fee for attending the conference, typically around $600-$800. However, university students can get significant discounts and there are limited job opportunities for students at the conference. The conference will cover a wide range of topics related to space exploration and nuclear power, including mission design, power systems, propulsion, materials, safety, and more. NASA is currently funding research and development in this area, and the conference aims to
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Space Nuclear Conference 2007 (SNC '07)
Embedded Topical Meeting at the 2007 ANS Annual Meeting
June 24-28, 2007 • Boston, MA

CFP will hopefully be out soon, and as time goes on there'll be more information on speakers and topics.

I'll be there and hope to see a few PFers. :cool:

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I can manage to get into the NE graduate program here at Ohio State, I'll most likely be there!

Can anyone attend?

theCandyman said:
Can anyone attend?
Yes. There is a fee associated with the conference, and it is usually on the order of $600-$800 for the entire conference.

University students get sigificant discounts, and there are a limited number of jobs for students at the conference.

If any NE student is interested, let me know and I'll find out more.

Call for papers - http://www3.inspi.ufl.edu/space07/

Topic Areas:

1. Mission Design for Manned and Unmanned Space Exploration

2. Planetary (Moon, Mars) Surface Power Strategy and Design

3. Concepts for Advanced Space Systems: Space Power and Propulsion and Surface Power Systems

4. Power Conversion Design and Integration and Spacecraft Power Strategies

5. Application of Nuclear Thermal Propulsion to Vision for Space Exploration Missions

6. Core Neutronic Design and Analysis

7. Nuclear Fuels Development

8. Thermal Fluid Design Issues, Including: Thermal Fluid Physics, Computational Thermal Fluid Dynamics (CTFD), Zero-Gravity, Thermal Hydraulics

9. Materials Assessments, Including: Requirements, Characterization, Structural Performance, Testing

10. Dynamics, Instrumentation & Control, and Systems Engineering

11. Component Development: Pumps, Radiators, Heat Exchangers, Electronics, Cabling

12. Radiation Shielding and Protection, Including: Environment Definition, Transport Modeling and Simulation, Integration of Shielding Strategies with Power and Structure Designs, Dose and Risk Analysis

13. Component Testing and Validation, Including: Validation of Behavior at Temperature and Over Lifetime

14. Ground Testing of Full-Scale Systems

15. In-Situ Resource Utilization for Surface Bases Including Power and Energy Requirements

16. Systems Modeling and Simulation

17. Human Interactions with Surface Power Systems, Including: Deployment, Operations, and Maintenance

18. Space Nuclear Power Safety, Including: Software Quality Assurance (SQA) Testing, Benchmarks for Nuclear Analysis Software and Data, Materials and Systems Degradation Benchmarks, Lessons Learned

19. Public and Stakeholder Interests Related to the Space Nuclear Program

20. Space Nuclear Education

Last edited by a moderator:
Conference site has been updated.

http://www.inspi.ufl.edu/space07/index.html

Space Nuclear Conference 2007 (SNC '07) will be the second topical meeting organized by the Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology (ANST) technical group. NASA funding has been established to develop capabilities for unmanned and manned missions to the Moon, Mars, and beyond. Strategies implementing nuclear based power and propulsion technology, as well as radiation shielding protection, will be an integral part of successful missions of these types.

The purpose of the meeting is to bring together and provide a communications network and forum for information exchange for the wide cross section of research and management personnel from government, industry, academia, and the national laboratory system that are involved in the initiative. To this end, the meeting will address topics ranging from overviews of current programs and plans to detailed issues related to space travel such as nuclear-based power and propulsion systems designs, materials, testing, safety, space environmental effects and nuclear power system radiation shielding for humans and electronic components, and human factor strategies for the safe and reliable operation of nuclear power and propulsion plants.

http://www.inspi.ufl.edu/space07/program/index.html

I'll be there. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
If this year's student price is anything like last year's (a whopping $80), then I will definitely be attending (now that I'm actually in the NE graduate program at Ohio State).

daveb said:
If this year's student price is anything like last year's (a whopping $80), then I will definitely be attending (now that I'm actually in the NE graduate program at Ohio State).
Hopefully, you're a student member of ANS. If so, consider participating in the Divisions and Technical Groups.

http://anst.ans.org

http://mstd.ans.org

http://rpd.ans.org

and others

1. What is the purpose of the Space Nuclear Conference 2007?

The Space Nuclear Conference 2007 is a gathering of scientists, researchers, and industry professionals to discuss the latest developments and advancements in space nuclear technology. The main purpose of the conference is to promote collaboration and exchange of ideas among experts in the field.

2. Who can attend the Space Nuclear Conference 2007?

The Space Nuclear Conference 2007 is open to anyone with a professional or academic interest in space nuclear technology. This includes scientists, engineers, students, and other professionals in related fields. However, registration and payment of the conference fee is required to attend.

3. What topics will be covered at the Space Nuclear Conference 2007?

The conference will cover a wide range of topics related to space nuclear technology, including nuclear power systems for space exploration, propulsion systems, radiation shielding, and safety and regulatory issues. There will also be discussions on the latest research and developments in the field.

4. Are there any keynote speakers at the Space Nuclear Conference 2007?

Yes, there will be several keynote speakers at the conference who are experts in the field of space nuclear technology. These speakers will give presentations on cutting-edge research and advancements in the industry, providing valuable insights and perspectives for attendees.

5. How can I submit my research for presentation at the Space Nuclear Conference 2007?

The conference is currently accepting submissions for presentations and posters. Interested individuals can submit an abstract of their research through the conference website. The submissions will go through a review process and selected presenters will be notified. The deadline for submissions is .