Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Space of continuous functions

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Ce([0,1], R) be the set of even functions in C([0,1], R), show that Ce is closed and not dense in C.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I can solve this if I can show that even functions converge to even functions, but I can't quite figure out how to go about doing this...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This question does not make sense to me.

A function is "even" is f(t)=f(-t). Here, for any t in (0,1], -t is out of [0,1] and thus f(-t) is not even defined.

What do you mean by even?

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does C([0,1],R) mean?

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would be the space of continuous functions on [0,1] no doubt.

But do you see what it means for a fct to be even in this setting? :confused:

6. Apr 14, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was wondering if it could mean continuous functions from [0,1]xR->R with 'even' meaning f(x,y)=f(x,-y). The failure of the question to make any obvious sense otherwise was giving me doubts.

7. Apr 15, 2008 #6
    I'm sorry all. I meant that the space is [-1,1] rather than [0,1]. Sorry again and do appreciate any help.

8. Apr 15, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then it's super easy. Take a sequence of even functions f_i converging to a function f. Take any point x, then f_i(x)->f(x) and f_i(-x)->f(-x). Need I say more?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook