1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space of continuous functions

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Ce([0,1], R) be the set of even functions in C([0,1], R), show that Ce is closed and not dense in C.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I can solve this if I can show that even functions converge to even functions, but I can't quite figure out how to go about doing this...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This question does not make sense to me.

A function is "even" is f(t)=f(-t). Here, for any t in (0,1], -t is out of [0,1] and thus f(-t) is not even defined.

What do you mean by even?

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does C([0,1],R) mean?

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That would be the space of continuous functions on [0,1] no doubt.

But do you see what it means for a fct to be even in this setting? :confused:

6. Apr 14, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was wondering if it could mean continuous functions from [0,1]xR->R with 'even' meaning f(x,y)=f(x,-y). The failure of the question to make any obvious sense otherwise was giving me doubts.

7. Apr 15, 2008 #6
    I'm sorry all. I meant that the space is [-1,1] rather than [0,1]. Sorry again and do appreciate any help.

8. Apr 15, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then it's super easy. Take a sequence of even functions f_i converging to a function f. Take any point x, then f_i(x)->f(x) and f_i(-x)->f(-x). Need I say more?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?