Will the Space Shuttle Discovery launch this weekend for a 'pedestrian mission'?

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
I would go in a millisecond... i am a flight fanatics... (if i had the cash)In summary, the space shuttle Discovery successfully launched into orbit on Saturday afternoon, following a preflight review with some disagreement among engineers. The launch was originally scheduled for 3:49 PM EST but was rescheduled for Sunday due to weather conditions. However, it was ultimately launched on Tuesday at 2:38 PM EST, with a successful lift-off and ET separation. The crew is expected to have a safe and successful mission. Many people, including a crew member's parents and a flight fanatic, would still be willing to go on a space mission despite the high risks involved.
Rach3
Depending on the weather in Florida, possibly tomorrow (Saturday), otherwise next Tuesday:
CAPE CANAVERAL, June 30 — The space shuttle Discovery and its seven astronauts are to roar into orbit on Saturday afternoon on what NASA managers call "a rather pedestrian mission" that nevertheless has a great deal riding on it.

Liftoff is scheduled for 3:49...
New York Times

(That's 3:49 PM EST or 20:49 GMT.)

As to questions of safety, or of whether the awful management of NASA has improved at all since Columbia (or for that matter, Richard Feynman and the Challenger committee), I find the following two quotes taken together, err, illuminating:
On Friday, Mr. Griffin defended that decision, contrasting the open discussion with the process that led up to the Columbia disaster, in which managers were found to have squelched dissent. This month's preflight review was a healthy exchange of ideas and decision-making about difficult issues, he said, adding, "What you're seeing is a good process."
During NASA's preflight review this month, some leading engineers argued against launching the current mission until areas of the fuel tank that still shed small amounts of foam could be redesigned.

But Mr. Griffin, the head of the space agency, overruled the engineers, saying he did not agree with their assertion that a foam incident was "probable" over the life of the program and that the result would be "catastrophic."
(both from page 2 of the NYT article)

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the definite consequences for keeping the shuttle grounded longer?

Pengwuino said:
What are the definite consequences for keeping the shuttle grounded longer?

None really, the Russians can rescue the ISS guys when they run out of food.

So the ISS is just going to basically become useless?

I wonder what the rush is. I heard yesterday that the engineers gave a 'unanimous go ahead' on the launch so this was strange to hear.

50 million for a space flight... come on... i wouldn't pay no 50 million to be launched into space as a tourist.

Pengwuino said:
I wonder what the rush is.
Pressure from PR offices, high-ranking politicians, and management hack Michael Griffin.

50 million for a space flight... come on... i wouldn't pay no 50 million to be launched into space as a tourist.
Of course not. That's why they have a discount for tourists - only $20 million round trip! :biggrin:

Sweet, something i can squeeze into my budget! :grumpy:

Wishing them all a very safe flight.

hypatia said:
Wishing them all a very safe flight.

With you on that.

Clear skies, open eyes, VISION!

A PFB Hoping

Cancelled for weather, next launch attempt tomorrow (Sunday) at 3:26 PM EST, according to CNN.

(20:26 GMT)

No, canceled because everyone was watching brasil and France on the world cup :rofl:

cyrusabdollahi said:
No, canceled because everyone was watching brasil and France on the world cup :rofl:

Copy That!
Network violation.
Try again in 24 hours.
Hope for a channel clearing.

Seems to be enough water up thar in them skies to scrub real good today.

Please pass the floating foam duckie and tearless shampoo.

YO-HO!~

NO! THEY SCRUBBED IT! tuesday at 2:38 Eastern time.

rocketboy said:
NO! THEY SCRUBBED IT! tuesday at 2:38 Eastern time.

Sorry Rocketboy, They justed scrubbed the launch again.

But is that going to be one REALLY clean shuttle huh?!~

Shoshana said:
Sorry Rocketboy, They justed scrubbed the launch again.

But is that going to be one REALLY clean shuttle huh?!~

:rofl: hopefully they don't scrub it too much or the panels might weaken.

rocketboy said:
:rofl: hopefully they don't scrub it too much or the panels might weaken.

Probably not Rocketboy,

They are using Softsoap & cotton balls.

See you on the 4th for Lift-Off!

About an hour to go now, I think...

Hawknc said:
About an hour to go now, I think...

Okie Dokie!

Put away rubber Duckie.
Been watching the crew struggle into the seats for some time.

The usual wishes for a safe mission.

Standing by...

About 14 minutes to go, near the end of the T-9 hold. Looking good so far. :cool:

Everything is a GO
The countdown clock T- 7 minutes and counting...

t minus 5 mintues 30 seconds and counting

and we have lift-off

She's up!

Did anyone notice that the acceleration was running at about 100 mph per sec. After all these years, still Incredible.

Patty!

What a beauty!

more than 4,000 mpr ...

Ivan Seeking said:
She's up!

Did anyone notice that the acceleration was running at about 100 mph per sec. After all these years, still Incredible.

Oh! YES!
Yes!

Whatever they may say, it's a majestic sight to watch to Shuttle launch!

Now to Germany v Italy!

Where is Rocketboy?

6min 40 sec into the flight everything looks good...

ET separation good! :cool:

"main engine cut off ... smooth ride"

Whew! So exciting. Can't even imagine what the crew are feeling right now. My parents know someone on this mission, so I know they are watching and praying.

I always love to see the mission patches:
117228main_121patch_154x154.jpg