Will the Space Shuttle Discovery launch this weekend for a 'pedestrian mission'?

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
I would go in a millisecond... i am a flight fanatics... (if i had the cash)In summary, the space shuttle Discovery successfully launched into orbit on Saturday afternoon, following a preflight review with some disagreement among engineers. The launch was originally scheduled for 3:49 PM EST but was rescheduled for Sunday due to weather conditions. However, it was ultimately launched on Tuesday at 2:38 PM EST, with a successful lift-off and ET separation. The crew is expected to have a safe and successful mission. Many people, including a crew member's parents and a flight fanatic, would still be willing to go on a space mission despite the high risks involved.
What a way to celebrate 4th of July! :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
So who would go up now fully knowing the high risk involved?

me

The shuttle is safe, the only risk is thanks to NASA managment.

I would go...or would I?? :uhh:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:

me
Me too!

Me too.

Me too! But NASA won't let me! :cry:

personally, i wouldn't have taken the risk - knowing that there was a crack in the foam - however minute - that's a HUGE risk - when they could've waited till it was fixed. it's just not worth dying!

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on following in Andy Thomas' footsteps, so hell yes I'd go up. :cool:

Did anyone notice that the acceleration was running at about 100 mph per sec. After all these years, still Incredible.

Awesome.

I'd go :smile:

I would not go.

Growing up my folks had a TBird, two seater convertable, and being the first child before they realized they were parents with three of us in that tin can, I now enjoy a ride with a little more space to move around in.
Besides I'm chicken.

They were also involved with the space program and we enjoyed having this group of science professionals at the house for party's all the time.

Math is Hard,
You and your parents must be so excited to watch this unfold.

Wishing continued safety to all.

Hope they don't run into to much traffic coming back as I think someone else was also launching things with us yesterday there...YIKES!~

Shoshana said:
Where is Rocketboy?

6min 40 sec into the flight everything looks good...

Sorry I was too busy playing the launch over and over again.:biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Not only WOULD I go, I plan to oneday.

rocketboy said:
Sorry I was too busy playing the launch over and over again.:biggrin:

Not only WOULD I go, I plan to oneday.

There you are Rocketboy!~

PLAN to go up there huh?
Good. So between Space camp and your actual training might I suggest you keep in shape and see how strong your stomach is, you can stop by us for lunch and my Tuesday special and then catch a cab just before rush hour in midtown Manhattan and tell the driver 20 bucks tip if you can get me there in 15 minutes. Promise he will take every wrong turn and stop short 50+ times.

My son went to space camp and he says visiting Mum in NYC is much more intense.

Shoshana said:
There you are Rocketboy!~

PLAN to go up there huh?
Good. So between Space camp and your actual training might I suggest you keep in shape and see how strong your stomach is, you can stop by us for lunch and my Tuesday special and then catch a cab just before rush hour in midtown Manhattan and tell the driver 20 bucks tip if you can get me there in 15 minutes. Promise he will take every wrong turn and stop short 50+ times.

My son went to space camp and he says visiting Mum in NYC is much more intense.

lol, I love NYC, such an amazing city. What's the Tues. special?

rocketboy said:
lol, I love NYC, such an amazing city. What's the Tues. special?

Frankly Rocketboy I am still in just too much pain to remember the secret ingredient we use in the "Tuesday plutonium porridge Special", and can't really tell if it was that or the dressing we used on those strange little mushrooms.

But we have the Tuesday special on Tuesday so we are recovered by the weekend.

Expected recovery time, Friday morning.

Oh-ooooo!

Cool video, don't give up before it hits the water. Click on "Solid Rocket booster video"

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/sts-121_front/index.html

Evo said:
Cool video, don't give up before it hits the water. Click on "Solid Rocket booster video"

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/sts-121_front/index.html

:rofl: What a great ride! Where can we get tickets?

I know, it made me want to go up. Watching it go up really made me envy the astronauts inside. Damn, if there was a place to sit in that thing, I'd buy a ticket. :biggrin:

It appears that the rocket stayed upright out of the water?

Evo said:
I know, it made me want to go up. Watching it go up really made me envy the astronauts inside. Damn, if there was a place to sit in that thing, I'd buy a ticket. :biggrin:

It appears that the rocket stayed upright out of the water?
Possibly, it drops by parachute and is hollow - so it is supposed to float - unless the seals leak. :rolleyes:

Space Shuttle Discovery ended STS-121’s stay at the International Space Station when it undocked at 6:08 a.m. EDT Saturday. Undocking occurred as the two spacecraft flew above the Pacific Ocean north of New Zealand.

Discovery remains on track for a scheduled touch down at Kennedy Space Center, Fla., at 9:14 a.m. Monday.
Let's hope for a safe trip home and a safe landing at Kennedy Space Center on Monday morning.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts121/mission_docs/landing.html

DISCOVERY is safely back on the ground!

The STS-121 astronauts returned home today from a successful mission to the International Space Station when Space Shuttle Discovery touched down at Kennedy Space Center, Fla. Landing occurred at 9:14 a.m. EDT.

Discovery gave the United States a birthday present when it launched July 4. STS-121 spent just under 13 days in orbit, with almost nine days at the station. Discovery delivered supplies, equipment and a new Expedition 13 crew member to the orbital outpost.
Successful mission and crew home safely! :tongue2: :approve: :cool: :smile:

A picture perfect landing.

I wonder what the cost per mission is now given the entire history of the program.

woooooooooooooooooooot!

next stop! MARS! (but not before I can hitch a ride!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5196804.stm

Shuttle edges to night launches

The US space agency wants at least one more daylight launch for the shuttle before it will allow a night lift-off.

The article also includes another interesting news about a possible Hubble mission. :smile:

That could be good news also for the Hubble Space Telescope. It requires servicing to extend its life - a mission that can only be conducted by a shuttle. Dr Griffin told BBC News a firm decision would come later in the year.

"We have a lot of data to go through before we know whether or not we can do a Hubble flight; and we will probably announce that this Fall."

Has anyone picked up a NASA mission patch for this one?

Less than three days to go to scheduled launch for Atlantis and STS-115.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html (gives current information, so it will be different after STS-115)
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts115/index.html

The countdown officially began at noon EDT yesterday, at the T-43 hour mark. The countdown includes about 36 hours of built-in hold time prior to a targeted 4:30 p.m. EDT launch on Sunday; it is the middle point in the launch window that extends for 10 minutes.

w0000t launch!

Delay for 24 hrs due to a lightning strike at the Cape.

Launch would be postponed to Monday - weather permitting.

NASA Working 'Competing Objectives' on Atlantis Launch

During a Saturday evening press conference, Space Shuttle Program Launch Integration Manager LeRoy Cain said that management and engineering teams spent the day tracking two major issues; the impact of a lighting strike at the launch pad last Friday to shuttle flight and ground systems, and the intensity and direction of Tropical Storm Ernesto.

He went on to say that "he is happy to report that the team has finished their lightning strike reviews', and the vehicle has been cleared for launch." He went on to add that Ernesto has slowed slightly, providing them with a few more hours to track the storm before having to make a final decision whether or not to roll the shuttle back to the safety of the Vehicle Assembly Building. A decision will be made at a meeting early tomorrow morning whether to go ahead with a Tuesday launch, roll the vehicle back to the Vehicle Assembly Building, or pursue other options.
They will try to slip out before Ernesto strikes, or they have to roll Atlantis back to the hangar until after Ernesto.

They're rolling Atlantis back indoors. This is a blow to International Space Station plans.

Lost in the news of Ernesto/Atlantis is even more damaging news for the International Space Station.

Russia mulls new space station, missions to Moon, Mars Russians plan to concentrate on a space station that better meets their own needs.

hmm...another space race...this time for mars. I better hurry up and graduate!:biggrin:

Let's try this again. :uhh:

The six Atlantis crew members flew Saturday morning from their home base in Houston to the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, where they will begin final launch preparations for mission STS-115.

The countdown officially began at 8 a.m. Sunday (this morning), at the T-43 hour mark, which includes over 30 hours of built-in hold time prior to a targeted 12:29 p.m. EDT launch on Wednesday. The launch time is the middle point in the launch window that extends for 10 minutes.

Sept. 8, 10:54 a.m. EDT
The launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis has been scrubbed until Saturday due to a problem with one of the vehicle's external tank ECO sensors. NASA managers will hold a press conference no earlier than 12:30 p.m. EDT to discuss the sensor issue and tomorrow's liftoff attempt.

The new launch time for Atlantis is targeted for 11:15 a.m. on Saturday.

The ECO sensor issue arose earlier in today's countdown when launch controllers detected a problem with one of the four ECO sensors inside the hydrogen section of the space shuttle's orange external tank. The sensors monitor hydrogen levels inside of the tank and trigger the orbiter's engines to shutdown when gas levels drop below a specified level.
Ugh! Let's try it again tomorrow. :uhh: