How Does Crew Movement Affect Acceleration on a Space Station?

In summary: Maybe they want you to subtract the mass of the people from the 5.03e8. (That's the same as saying that the 5.03e8 is for the unmanned station.)In summary, the given scenario involves a space station in the shape of a giant wheel with a radius of 95.0 m and a moment of inertia of 5.03✕ 10^8 kg · m2. The station is rotating to provide an apparent acceleration of 1g for its 150 crew members living on the rim. When 100 people move to the center of the station, the angular speed changes and the remaining managers on the rim experience a different acceleration. Using the equations ac=rw^2,
Brocoly

Homework Statement

A space station shaped like a giant wheel has a radius 95.0 m and a moment of inertia of 5.03✕ 10^8 kg · m2. A crew of 150 lives on the rim, and the station is rotating so that the crew experiences an apparent acceleration of 1g. When 100 people move to the center of the station for a union meeting, the angular speed changes. What acceleration is experienced by the managers remaining at the rim? Assume that the average mass of each inhabitant is 65.0 kg.

Homework Equations

ac=rw^2
L=I1w1=I2w2
I=mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

w1=sqrt(9.81/95)=0.32135
mass of station= I1/r^2 - Mass of people=45984kg
I2=(45984+(50)(65))r^2=4.44*10^8
w2=I1w1/I2=0.36
ac=r(0.36^2)=[12.3]
but this doesn't seem to be the right answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've done it right - just don't round your numbers before your final answer!

I'd read it as saying the mass of the station (unmanned) = 5.03x10^8 / r²

Oh so the moment of inertia is 5.03e8 when when the mass of the station is combined with the mass of people?

No, but ##\omega_2## = 0.3638 gives a sligtly different answer.

Another possibility is that if they start with apparent acceleration 1g in the exercise, they want you to express the answer in terms of g too...

Nascent also has a good point: 5.03e8 for the unmanned station gives 5.91e8 if all 150 are on the rim.

When you (and I ) write "mass of station= I1/r^2 - Mass of people=45984kg" we assume the 5.03e8 includes the 150 people.

1. What is the "Space station problem"?

The "Space station problem" refers to the challenge of maintaining a long-term, habitable environment for humans in space. This includes issues such as ensuring a steady supply of food, water, and oxygen, managing waste and recycling systems, and dealing with the physical and mental effects of extended space travel on astronauts.

2. How do astronauts handle food and water on the space station?

Astronauts on the space station rely on a variety of methods to obtain and consume food and water. These include pre-packaged meals and drinks, as well as systems for filtering and recycling water from various sources such as sweat, urine, and condensation. They may also grow plants for food and conduct experiments on sustainable food production in space.

3. What measures are in place to maintain a livable atmosphere on the space station?

The space station has systems in place to regulate and monitor the levels of oxygen, carbon dioxide, and other gases in the atmosphere. These systems can adjust the air composition as needed and also remove harmful contaminants. Astronauts also regularly conduct air quality checks and make repairs or adjustments as necessary.

4. How is waste managed on the space station?

Astronauts on the space station use a variety of methods to manage waste, including compacting and storing solid waste, and recycling as much as possible. Liquid waste is treated and recycled into drinking water. Waste management is crucial for maintaining a safe and healthy living environment for astronauts, as well as minimizing the impact on the space station's limited resources.

5. What are the main challenges of living in space for extended periods of time?

Extended stays in space present various physical and psychological challenges for astronauts. These can include muscle and bone loss due to the lack of gravity, changes in vision, and exposure to radiation. Astronauts may also experience psychological effects such as isolation, stress, and disrupted sleep patterns. Mitigating these challenges requires ongoing research and the development of advanced technologies and medical interventions.