Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Space-time and the Klein bottle

1. Nov 18, 2016 #1
    If space-time is curved like a klein bottle, is it theoretically possible that events could loop back in time ? :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2016 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a big "if". Assuming it is like a Klein bottle, then it will loop back in every dimension. I wouldn't think too hard about it till there is some evidence.

4. Nov 18, 2016 #3
    Well in principle there could be a time loop just by having more time dimensions than one.
    No need for anything as complicated as a Klein bottle topology.
    However in reality we only observe one dimension of time and there is no reason to suspect more.

5. Nov 18, 2016 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This is not necessary; there are spacetimes with the usual metric signature (one timelike and three spacelike dimensions) which have closed timelike curves. The Godel spacetime is one; the deep interior (inside the inner horizon) of Kerr spacetime is another.

6. Nov 18, 2016 #5
    Thanks, I suspected this could be the case, I'll look into the examples you mentioned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted