Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space time black holes

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    Can the amount of space/time warped by a black hole be measured and if so, where can I find measurements of previously measured black holes?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

All things with mass or energy cause curvature of spacetime. The amount of curvature depends on the amount of mass/energy and the distance from it. Unfortunately I do not know the math to calculate all that.

4. Nov 16, 2011 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Black holes are very special in that the only qualities they possess are mass, charge, and angular momentum. If you know the value of those three qualities, you can calculate everything else about them, including their surface gravity. For the simplest case, a black hole with no charge and no angular momentum (i.e. non-rotating), the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_gravity#The_Schwarzschild_solution" provides a simple result.

Astronomers have observed black holes with masses of 18 billion times that of the Sun; you can plug that value into the Schwarzschild solution and compute the gravitational "strength" of the largest black holes known.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Nov 16, 2011 #4
    Thanks you for your answers they helped a lot i dont know much about astronomy and im trying to learn and understand as much as i can.

6. Nov 18, 2011 #5
    Would it be possible that a black hole has some much mass that it curves space/time to connect to another galaxy?

7. Nov 18, 2011 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would be called a wormhole. They are sort of like unicorns - never actually observed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook