Locating Event E0 on a Space-Time Diagram & Speeds

In summary, you need to locate events E1, E2, and E3 on a space-time diagram for frame S, specify their position in relation to E0, and find the speed in frames where they are simultaneous with E0.
Ylle
Hello...

I have a little problem I hope you guys can help me with.
I'll write down the problem-text first, so it will be easier to point out the problem - hopefully.

Here it goes:
Event E0 has the following coordinates in some frame S:

x = 2 m
ct = 4 m

Locate E0 on a space-time diagram for frame S. Draw the lines that define the three invariant regions of space-time for E0. On the diagram, locate each of the follow events:

E1: x = 0, ct = 1 m
E2: x= 4 m, ct = 2 m
E3: x = 4 m, ct = 5 m

Specify whether each event is on the light cone of E0, in the past or the future of E0, or in the elsewhere. If E is within one of the light cones, find the speed (relative to S) of a frame in which E occurs at the same place as E0. If E is in the elsewhere of E0, find the speed if a frame in which it is simultaneous with E0.

First I draw my diagram, as you can see on the image, define the invariant regions (Past, future and 2x elsewhere), and locate the 3 events.

The next question is to specify where the events are happening.
I get:
E1 = The past
E2 = On the light cone
E3 = In the elsewhere

The next question is to find the speed (relative to S) of a frame in which E occurs at the same place as E0.

Then I draw the red line, and get the speed: (2/3)c

And that's what I got so far. The last part "If E is in the elsewhere of E0, find the speed if a frame in which it is simultaneous with E0." I cannot understand.
So maybe you can help me out ?

Thank you
- Ylle

Attachments

• Space-Time diagram.jpg
    Space-Time diagram.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the last part, you need to find the speed in a frame where E3 is simultaneous with E0. To do this, draw a line parallel to the x-axis that passes through E3. This line is the worldline of a frame in which E3 is simultaneous with E0. Then, calculate the slope of the worldline, which will give you the speed relative to S.

Hello Ylle,

Thank you for explaining your problem and providing a diagram. It looks like you have correctly located the events and determined their positions relative to E0. To answer the last part of the problem, we need to understand the concept of simultaneity in special relativity.

In special relativity, simultaneity is relative. This means that two events that are simultaneous in one frame may not be simultaneous in another frame. In your diagram, event E0 and E3 are simultaneous in frame S, but in a different frame, they may not be simultaneous.

To find the speed of a frame in which E3 is simultaneous with E0, we can use the equation for time dilation: t' = t/γ, where t' is the time in the new frame, t is the time in the original frame, and γ is the Lorentz factor, given by γ = 1/√(1-v^2/c^2), where v is the relative velocity between the two frames and c is the speed of light.

In this case, we want E3 to be simultaneous with E0, so t' = t. We can rearrange the equation to solve for v, which gives us v = √(1-1/γ^2)c. Plugging in the values for E0 and E3, we get v = √(1-5/9)c or approximately -0.62c. This means that in a frame where E3 is simultaneous with E0, the relative velocity between the two frames is -0.62 times the speed of light.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of simultaneity and how to find the speed in different frames. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Best,

What is a space-time diagram?

A space-time diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time. It is used to visually depict events and their positions in both space and time.

How do you locate Event E0 on a space-time diagram?

To locate Event E0 on a space-time diagram, you will need to find the point where the space and time axes intersect. This point represents the origin of the diagram and is typically labeled as Event E0.

What is the significance of Event E0 on a space-time diagram?

Event E0 is significant because it represents the starting point of the diagram and is used as a reference point for measuring distances and times of other events on the diagram.

What is the relationship between space and time on a space-time diagram?

On a space-time diagram, the horizontal axis represents space and the vertical axis represents time. The intersection of these two axes at Event E0 represents the origin of the diagram, and the position of other events on the diagram can be measured in terms of their distance from this point in space and time.

How can you calculate speeds on a space-time diagram?

To calculate speeds on a space-time diagram, you will need to use the slope formula (m = y2-y1 / x2-x1) to find the slope of the line connecting two points on the diagram. This slope represents the speed of an object in terms of distance traveled in a given time interval.