Space-time self-intersection, I guess.

• Thread starter Gazarai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space-time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a 1-dimensional universe vibrating and intersecting with itself in a higher dimensional space. It raises questions about what an observer would see and experience in this scenario, and how it would differ in higher dimensional versions of the universe. This concept is thought-provoking and ties into the field of string theory.
Gazarai
I'm just going to start typing and hope I'm able to explain this in words.

I'll start by defining the universe. Basically, I'm introducing this universe that is a 3 dimensional surface of a 4 dimensional hypersphere, and I'll be talking about the "dumbed down" versions of this, meaning, the 2 dimensional surface of a sphere, and the 1 dimensional surface of a circle.

Another thing about this universe: If we take the 1 dimensional surface version of it, we can say that it "vibrates" in two dimensions, in the plane of its existence.

Starting with the 1 dimensional surface version... Say there's a "tension" of this universe. Say the tension is small enough for this universe to vibrate enough to self-intersect. Also, there are only 3 things in this universe: Two stars, and an observer. One star appears red, and the other appears blue.

I'll try to explain, now, how I visualize this universe. A basic circle, with the red planet at the "top," the blue planet at the bottom, on the opposite side of the universe, and an observer, equidistant from both stars, on the "left" of the circle. (We'll assume the universe is small enough that the observer can see the colors of both stars from his position.)

Now for the intersection of this universe. Imagine pushing the red star towards the blue star, not through the 1d space of the universe, but through the 2d space outside the universe, until it intersected at a point, making sort of a figure 8 shape. Now push it further, so that it goes through itself, now intersecting at two points.

I have three questions at this point:

1. What would the observer see? Would he see the two stars "inside each other?" Would he see both the red star and the blue star in one position, but not interacting with each other as if they were that close?

2. What happens if the observer approaches the intersection point? Tries to go forward into the space beyond it?

3. This scenario in the higher dimension versions of this universe?

Edit: I realize this is written terribly. I'm never really any good at explaining these sorts of things in words, but surely someone can entertain me..?

Edit2: Maybe this is easier to understand... The 1 dimensional universe in a sort of a figure 8 shape, with the observer on the left of the figure 8, and the two stars on the bottom and top half of the opposite side of the figure 8.RedStar----------v
Observer ---> OO
BlueStar---------^

Imagine the OO as being kind of like two circles tangent to each other, but it's really a figure 8. Also, the observer could technically be anywhere on the left-most loop. The point is, what would the observer see as he looked into the intersection, and what would happen as he approached it and eventually went through it?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org

I find this concept very interesting and thought-provoking. It seems like you are describing a scenario where the 1-dimensional universe is able to vibrate and intersect with itself in a higher dimensional space. This is a concept that is explored in the field of string theory, where it is proposed that our universe exists in more than 3 dimensions.

To address your questions, let's first consider what the observer would see. As the red star is pushed towards the blue star and intersects with itself, the observer would see the two stars overlapping and appearing to be in the same position. This is because in a 1-dimensional universe, there is no depth perception, so the observer would not be able to see the stars as separate objects. It would appear as if they were "inside" each other.

As for what happens when the observer approaches the intersection point, it is difficult to say for certain without more information about the properties of this universe. However, it is possible that the observer would experience some sort of distortion or disruption as they move through the intersection. This is because the intersection point is essentially a point where the fabric of the universe is folded in on itself, and this could have unpredictable effects on any object passing through it.

Finally, I find it interesting to consider this scenario in higher dimensional versions of the universe. In a 2-dimensional universe, the intersection point would appear as a line, and in a 3-dimensional universe, it would appear as a point. The properties and behavior of the intersection would also be different in these higher dimensions, as the fabric of the universe would be more complex and allow for more possibilities.

Overall, your concept raises many intriguing questions and possibilities about the nature of our universe and the potential for other dimensions and parallel universes. I would be curious to hear more about your ideas and theories on this topic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this forum.

1. What is space-time self-intersection?

Space-time self-intersection refers to the idea that space and time can intersect or overlap in a way that allows for the possibility of time travel or parallel universes.

2. Is space-time self-intersection possible?

The concept of space-time self-intersection is a theoretical concept in physics and is still being studied and debated. Some theories, such as general relativity, suggest that it is possible, while others, such as quantum mechanics, do not support this idea.

3. How does space-time self-intersection relate to the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, specifically general relativity, plays a crucial role in the concept of space-time self-intersection. It allows for the possibility of bending and warping of space and time, which could potentially lead to self-intersection.

4. Can space-time self-intersection be observed or measured?

Currently, there is no direct evidence or observation of space-time self-intersection. However, scientists continue to search for ways to test and measure this concept, such as through experiments with black holes and gravitational waves.

5. What are the implications of space-time self-intersection?

If space-time self-intersection is proven to be possible, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could also open up possibilities for time travel and the existence of parallel universes, but these are still highly speculative ideas.