Space Travel Physics: Realistic 2D Simulation

In summary, the conversation was about designing a realistic game using Lego models to create spaceships. The system created divides mass by simulated thrust to calculate acceleration, but there is confusion on whether to use trigonometric functions or divide thrust among the x and y axis to determine the end point and draw a line between start and end points. The question also raises the issue of considering previous velocity in addition to current thrust.
Noah J
So, I have been designing a game that uses Lego models to create spaceships that you then maneuver on a floor and do battle with. And one of the goals of this game is to be as realistic as possible, within the limits of a 2D environment.

With that in mind, I have created a system that divides mass by (simulated) thrust to get acceleration. The only weird part is when you apply thrust in a different vector from the current one.

So my question is, is it best (I.E., most realistic) to work through the equation using trigonometric functions to calculate a new vector and velocity, or is it better to divide the thrust among the x and y-axis to get an end point, and then draw a line between the start and end points?

(Also, if I have totally messed up on anything, please correct me, it has been a while since physics.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Noah J said:
So my question is, is it best (I.E., most realistic) to work through the equation using trigonometric functions to calculate a new vector and velocity, or is it better to divide the thrust among the x and y axis
Where is the difference between the two things?
Noah J said:
to get an end point, and then draw a line between the start and end points?
The "end point" will depend both on the acceleration and the previous velocity, you cannot calculate it based on current thrust alone.

1. What is "Space Travel Physics: Realistic 2D Simulation"?

"Space Travel Physics: Realistic 2D Simulation" is a computer program that simulates the physics of space travel in a two-dimensional environment. It allows users to experiment with different variables and see how they affect the trajectory and movement of objects in space.

2. How does the simulation accurately depict real-life space travel?

The simulation uses real physics equations, such as Newton's laws of motion, to calculate the movement of objects in space. It also takes into account factors such as gravity, mass, and velocity to create a realistic representation of space travel.

3. Can users customize the simulation to fit different scenarios?

Yes, users can adjust various variables such as the mass, velocity, and gravitational force of objects in the simulation. They can also change the size and shape of the objects, as well as the environment in which they are traveling.

4. How can this simulation be beneficial for understanding space travel?

This simulation can help users visualize and better understand the complex physics involved in space travel. It can also be used for educational purposes, such as teaching students about gravity and orbital mechanics.

5. Is this simulation only for entertainment purposes?

No, this simulation can also be used for scientific research and experimentation. It allows scientists to test different scenarios and gather data without the limitations and risks of real-life space travel.