1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space travel physics

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1
    So, I have been designing a game that uses Lego models to create spaceships that you then maneuver on a floor and do battle with. And one of the goals of this game is to be as realistic as possible, within the limits of a 2D environment.

With that in mind, I have created a system that divides mass by (simulated) thrust to get acceleration. The only weird part is when you apply thrust in a different vector from the current one.

So my question is, is it best (I.E., most realistic) to work through the equation using trigonometric functions to calculate a new vector and velocity, or is it better to divide the thrust among the x and y axis to get an end point, and then draw a line between the start and end points?

(Also, if I have totally messed up on anything, please correct me, it has been a while since physics.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where is the difference between the two things?
    The "end point" will depend both on the acceleration and the previous velocity, you cannot calculate it based on current thrust alone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook