Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space wars

1. May 24, 2005 #1
    It seems GWB has given green signal to US Air Force to develop space weapons. Is it really true and is it going to trigger an arms race. What are the other countries doing? I dont think UN would be of much help!!! :rofl:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I never thought Osama bin Laden had the wits to hide in the Kuiper Belt.
    Go get him, US!
  4. May 24, 2005 #3
    I think it is one of the most sensible decisions of the Bush administration. Osama is not the only enemy of the US. I would contend that Russia and particularly China are still pose a substantial threat.
  5. May 24, 2005 #4
    How about a link?
  6. May 24, 2005 #5
  7. May 25, 2005 #6
    Looks interesting, and a little expensive. I guess it would still be a lot cheaper to use the US's existing air bases to launch conventional attacks.
    I did not see anything about the green light chound mentioned.
  8. May 29, 2005 #7
    Show me the Money

Show me the money and tell me where it is coming from. Why are we spending money on this, if we are planning on closing down Military Bases in the North East to save money? Why are we wasting money on research, while other government programs are being cut? Why are we going into debt on this project, while we can't even expand the military school for the Special forces? Why are we wasting money having grandfathers drive mine ridden roads in Iraq, when we can't train more Special Forces to drive the trucks, because we are spending money on this space program that may not even work the way we want them to. Remember computers only do what we tell them to do. Not what we want them to do.
  9. May 29, 2005 #8

Science Advisor

The link is impossible to provide as no such approval has been given. The decision will be made soon and hopefully will be one of approval.

It is always incumbent upon the military to research means of defending the nation.

10. May 29, 2005 #9
  11. May 29, 2005 #10
    Last edited: May 29, 2005
  12. May 29, 2005 #11
    Also research aticles in Boston area newspapers online and the Middlesex news when the Natick soliders system research lab was on that closure list before it was taken off.
  13. May 31, 2005 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

After World War I, there was a similar debate. The difference was that the post-WWI debate was about the proper role of airpower and this debate is about the proper role of space power. Denying the development of space warfare technology would be the equivalent of court-martialing Billy Mitchell. One of the things that landed Mitchell in hot water was his contention that naval power was obsolete - something he tried to show during his demonstrations of aerial bombardment of naval ships over 15 years before the Japanese gave us a more convincing demonstration of the impact of air power. Not taking the lead in space, in all of its aspects, doesn't prevent technology and tactics from developing - it just concedes the lead to someone else.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?