Is there a place in space where there is no energy?

In summary, my friend asked if there was a place in space without energy and then said that there is not a place in space where you can't see any stars because gravitational fields have energy densities.
cragar
This may be a dumb question . My friend asked me is there a place in space where there is no energy .And then he said
is there a place in space where you can't see any stars . Do gravitational fields have energy densities .
So is there a place in space that has no energy ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
cragar said:
This may be a dumb question . My friend asked me is there a place in space where there is no energy .And then he said
is there a place in space where you can't see any stars . Do gravitational fields have energy densities .
So is there a place in space that has no energy ?

You can't test whether or not a region is devoid of energy. As soon as you measure something, you add energy to it. If you can't test a theory, it's not scientific.

Tac-Tics said:
You can't test whether or not a region is devoid of energy. As soon as you measure something, you add energy to it. If you can't test a theory, it's not scientific.

If I am observing a star through a telescope, how am I adding energy to that star?

if you think about the size of your eye's iris, and the amount of starlight that enters it on a cloudless night, then think that some star light (energy) is also passing through just about every millimeter of space. Space isn't at absolute zero either.

pallidin said:
If I am observing a star through a telescope, how am I adding energy to that star?

You're definitely interacting with the star when the light hits your eye. Maybe I'm playing fast and loose, equating "space" with "system".

If you're taking a measuring on a region of space (and not a system of particles), you have the additional difficulty that your measurement must be made instantaneously. By naming spatial bounding box for a region in your coordinate system, you can specify what "space" you're talking about. But an instant later, it's unclear whether or not the same bounding box refers to the "same space".

so then energy is everywhere.

If energy is everywhere , and space is expanding , then where does this energy come from to fill the void .

1. Is it possible for there to be a place in space where there is no energy?

No, it is not possible for there to be a place in space where there is absolutely no energy. Energy is a fundamental property of the universe and it exists in various forms, such as light, heat, and gravitational potential energy.

2. Can there be areas in space with very low energy?

Yes, there can be areas in space with very low energy. For example, the space between galaxies is relatively empty and has very low energy density compared to areas within galaxies.

3. What is the lowest possible amount of energy in space?

The lowest possible amount of energy in space is known as the zero-point energy. It is the minimum energy that a quantum mechanical physical system can have while still retaining its quantum properties. However, this energy is still present even in a vacuum.

4. Are there any regions in space with no particles or matter, and therefore no energy?

While there are regions in space with very low levels of particles and matter, it is unlikely that there are any areas completely devoid of particles. Even in the most empty and desolate regions of space, there are still some particles present, even if they are just a few atoms per cubic meter.

5. How does the concept of energy apply to the vastness of space?

The concept of energy applies to the vastness of space in many ways. For example, stars and galaxies derive their energy from nuclear fusion, gravitational potential energy plays a crucial role in the formation and movement of celestial bodies, and light energy is constantly being emitted and absorbed by objects in space. Energy is a fundamental aspect of the universe and it governs many of the processes and phenomena we observe in space.