Calculating Relative Time and Distance for Spaceship Catch-Up

In summary, the two spaceships have velocities of .2c and .6c respectively, with the second spaceship being 3 x 10^9 m behind the first spaceship. The time taken for the second spaceship to catch up with the first in reference frame S is approximately 23.47 seconds.
bethany555

Homework Statement

Spaceship #1 moves with a velocity of .2c in the positive x direction of reference frame S. Spaceship #2, moving in the same direction with a speed of .6c is 3 x 10^9 m behind. At what times in reference frames S, and in the reference frame of ship #1, will 2 catch up with 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

vrelevative = .6c-.2c / (1-.6(.2)) = .455c
Then, 10 light seconds / .455c = 22.0s

Or...is it done classically .6-.2 = .4, making it 25s?

For the second part, is it done like so?

beta = 1/(sqrt (1-.2)) = 1.02
Then t = 22/1.02 = 21.6s or if it was 25s, 25/1.02 = 24.5s

Can someone explain to me which of these two (if either) are correct? I am not sure if it is done classically or with relativity, so can you explain why it is either.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi bethany555! welcome to pf! :smile:
bethany555 said:
Or...is it done classically .6-.2 = .4, making it 25s?

yes … in any one frame, speed etc works just the way it should! :biggrin:

(you only need those pesky gammas :grumpy: if you're having to convert measurements from another frame first :wink:)
For the second part, is it done like so? …

(btw, that's called gamma, not beta … beta is v/c :wink:)

imo, it's always safest to use the original lorentz transformation formulas

(rather than use short-cut contraction formulas which usually work only for rigid separations)

in this case, you know that (in frame S) t = 25, x = … , so t' = … ? :smile:

Thank you very much!

For the second part, would it be the following --

Vrelative = .455c (as shown above)

L = 10c seconds (sqrt(1-.45^2)) = 8.93

8.93/.455 = 19.6s

I'm not sure if I'm using the correct v for all parts, would you be able to tell me if I did this correct? Thank you again so much!

bethany555 said:
(sqrt(1-.45^2))

no, your gamma should be for the relative speed between your two frames,

ie between S and the frame of the 1st ship (0.2 c)

and i really think you should use the t' = γt - γvx formula from the Lorentz transformation

tiny-tim said:
no, your gamma should be for the relative speed between your two frames,

ie between S and the frame of the 1st ship (0.2 c)

and i really think you should use the t' = γt - γvx formula from the Lorentz transformation

Thanks! So would it be 9.80cs / .455 = 21.5s?

When I use the Lorenz equation, I get
t' = (1/(sqrt(1-.2^2)) ) * 25 - (1/(sqrt(1-.2^2)) ) .2 * 10, I get 23.47?

bethany555 said:
Thanks! So would it be 9.80cs / .455 = 21.5s?

what is this? :confused:
When I use the Lorenz equation, I get
t' = (1/(sqrt(1-.2^2)) ) * 25 - (1/(sqrt(1-.2^2)) ) .2 * 10, I get 23.47?

yes, that looks ok :smile:

(i haven't checked the actual figures)

1. What is the Spaceship Relativity Problem?

The Spaceship Relativity Problem is a thought experiment that explores the concept of relativity and the effects of time dilation. It involves two spaceships, one stationary and one traveling at high speeds, and examines how time is experienced differently for each spaceship.

2. How does the Spaceship Relativity Problem relate to Einstein's Theory of Relativity?

The Spaceship Relativity Problem is a simplified version of Einstein's Theory of Relativity, which states that time is relative and can be experienced differently depending on factors such as speed and gravity. The thought experiment helps to illustrate these concepts in a more tangible way.

3. What are the key assumptions in the Spaceship Relativity Problem?

The key assumptions in the Spaceship Relativity Problem are that the spaceships are traveling at constant speeds, there is no acceleration or deceleration, and there are no external forces acting on the spaceships. These assumptions allow for a simpler and more focused exploration of the effects of relativity.

4. Can the Spaceship Relativity Problem be applied to real-life situations?

While the Spaceship Relativity Problem is a thought experiment and not a real-life scenario, the principles and concepts explored in it can be applied to real-life situations. For example, GPS satellites must take into account the effects of relativity in order to accurately measure and transmit time.

5. What is the significance of the Spaceship Relativity Problem in the field of science?

The Spaceship Relativity Problem is a valuable thought experiment that helps scientists and students better understand the concepts of relativity and time dilation. It also has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and engineering, where the effects of relativity must be taken into account for accurate calculations and measurements.