Calculating Velocity and Time Dilation in Special Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a spaceship traveling from Earth to a star six light-years away. The spaceship has a total rest mass of 32,000 kg and travels at a constant velocity. The first part of the question involves computing the velocity of the spaceship, while the second part asks how long the trip takes in Earth's inertial rest frame. The homework equations provided include equations for time dilation and velocity. The solution involves solving for u, the relative speed between frames, using a combination of equations.
struggles

Homework Statement

1. A spaceship travels from Earth to the vicinity of the star that is measured by astronomers on Earth to be six light-years away. The spaceship and its occupants have a total rest mass of 32 000 kg. Assume that the spaceship travels at constant velocity. The time taken as measured by clocks on the spaceship is 2.5 years.
    1. (i) Compute the velocity of the spaceship. [3 marks]
    2. (ii) How long does the trip take as measured by clocks in the Earth’s

inertial rest frame? [3 marks]

Homework Equations

x' = γ(x-ut)
t' = γ(t - ux/c2) where the dash frame is the object rest frame, u is the relative speed between frames
γ = 1/√(1-u2/c2)
v' = v-u/1-u2v/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm a bit stuck my the first part of the question.
So far I have determined that x = 6ly, t' = 2.5yrs. I'm getting a bit puzzled as to what I'm looking to find. Is it u
or v or are they the same thing in this case? regardless I cannot think of a way in which i have enough variables that allows me to compute a value. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes you have to chip away at it. See if you can solve for x'. (Hint: You'll need a different version of your first equation.)

struggles said:
I'm getting a bit puzzled as to what I'm looking to find. Is it u
or v or are they the same thing in this case?
You are solving for u. v is irrelevant: there's only one velocity in this problem.

Ok so I'm not sure if this works or not but this is what I've got:
t = γt' and t = x/u.
Combining this gives x/t' = uγ and then expanding this all out and rearranging gives a value for u. Would this method work?

struggles said:
Ok so I'm not sure if this works or not but this is what I've got:
t = γt' and t = x/u.
Combining this gives x/t' = uγ and then expanding this all out and rearranging gives a value for u. Would this method work?
That will do it. Good! :thumbup:

Thank you for your help!

1. What is the theory of special relativity?

The theory of special relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, describes how the laws of physics work in reference frames that are moving at a constant speed relative to each other. It is based on two main principles: the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does special relativity apply to spaceships?

Special relativity applies to all objects in motion, including spaceships. It helps us understand how time and space are affected by the motion of the spaceship, and how this can impact the behavior of objects and the passage of time for observers on the spaceship and on Earth.

3. What is time dilation in the context of spaceship special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion compared to those at rest. This means that time for astronauts on a spaceship will pass slower than for people on Earth, and the difference becomes more significant as the speed of the spaceship increases.

4. How does spaceship special relativity affect measurements and observations?

Spaceship special relativity can impact measurements and observations in several ways. For example, due to time dilation, clocks on a spaceship will appear to run slower to an observer on Earth. Also, the length of objects on the spaceship may appear shorter to an observer on Earth due to the phenomenon of length contraction.

5. Can the theory of special relativity be tested on spaceships?

Yes, the theory of special relativity has been extensively tested on spaceships through experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment and the GPS system. These experiments have confirmed the predictions of special relativity and its accuracy in describing the behavior of objects in motion, including spaceships.