Calculating Spacetime Intervals for Simultaneous Events

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of simultaneity and the use of Lorentz transformations to find velocity. The first event is found to have a spacelike invariant interval, leading to a velocity of half the speed of light. The second event is also found to have a spacelike invariant interval, with the same velocity but opposite sign. The third event is found to have a timelike invariant interval, indicating that the velocity cannot be found using the same method as the first two events. Ultimately, it is concluded that no velocity can be found for this third event without violating the speed of light.
milkism
Homework Statement
Analyse of two events with the use of invariant intervals
Relevant Equations
I= -c²t² + d²
Exercise:
7ef83cd9cbe5347d34ec1deb705a93f4.png

My solutions:
  1. For events to be simultaneous, the invariant interval must be bigger than zero (spacelike). I got $$I = -c^2 \Delta t^2 + \Delta x^2 + \Delta y^2 + \Delta z^2 = -(0-1)^2 + (0-2)^2 + (0-0)^2 + (0-0)^2 = -1 + 4 = 3 >0$$. Which is indeed greater than zero, to find the velocity, I will use the first Lorentz-transformation formula with four vectors $$\overline{x}^0 = \gamma \left( x^0 - \beta x^1 \right) = \Delta (c\overline{t}) = \gamma (\Delta (ct) - \beta (\Delta x))$$, we want $$\Delta \overline{t} = 0$$. We get: $$\Delta (ct) = \beta (\Delta x) = \frac{0-1}{0-2} = \frac{v}{c} = v = \frac{c}{2}$$. Where $$\beta = \frac{v}{c}$$.
  2. The new spacetime coordinates for second event will be (-1,2,0,0), the invariant interval doesn't change, meaning it's still spacelike, so the velocity will be the same but opposite sign.
  3. No, for two events to occur at the same point (place) the invariant interval must be negative (timelike), which isn't.

Physics news on Phys.org
milkism said:
We get: $$\Delta (ct) = \beta (\Delta x) = \frac{0-1}{0-2} = \frac{v}{c} = v = \frac{c}{2}$$. Where $$\beta = \frac{v}{c}$$.
So you're claiming ##\Delta (ct) = \frac{c}{2}## so ##-1 = 1.5\times 10^8~\rm m/s##? Don't use an equal sign to connect steps.

The new spacetime coordinates for second event will be (-1,2,0,0), the invariant interval doesn't change, meaning it's still spacelike, so the velocity will be the same but opposite sign.
You may want to rethink this one.

Likes milkism, topsquark, MatinSAR and 1 other person
vela said:
So you're claiming ##\Delta (ct) = \frac{c}{2}## so ##-1 = 1.5\times 10^8~\rm m/s##? Don't use an equal sign to connect steps.You may want to rethink this one.
Are the spacetime coordinates wrong?

milkism said:
Are the spacetime coordinates wrong?
##v = \frac c 2## looks right for part (i), but your work seems very muddled to me. For example:

milkism said:
We get: $$\Delta (ct) = \beta (\Delta x) = \frac{0-1}{0-2} = \frac{v}{c} = v = \frac{c}{2}$$.
For part (ii) you need to work things out properly. You've effectively just guessed a (wrong) answer.

Likes milkism, topsquark and MatinSAR
PeroK said:
##v = \frac c 2## looks right for part (i), but your work seems very muddled to me. For example:For part (ii) you need to work things out properly. You've effectively just guessed a (wrong) answer.
Well, I'm lost.

You know the coordinates in ##S##. Try using your answer ##\beta = -1/2## and the Lorentz transformation and see what you get for the coordinates in the other frame.

Likes milkism and topsquark
milkism said:
Well, I'm lost.
This problem, IMO, is simply asking you to solve an equation for ##v##. Namely:$$\gamma(1 - 2\frac v c)= -1$$

Likes milkism
Haha, I thought we had to do something with invariant intervals for (ii), thanks! Is my solution for (iii) correct?

milkism said:
Is my solution for (iii) correct?
Yes. Note that you can prove it in this case by showing that no allowable ##v## would solve the relevant equation.

Likes milkism
PeroK said:
Yes. Note that you can prove it in this case by showing that no allowable ##v## would solve the relevant equation.
Because it would be bigger than the speed of light?

milkism said:
Because it would be bigger than the speed of light?
I don't know. Try it!

• Haha
Likes milkism

What is a spacetime interval?

A spacetime interval is a measure of the distance between two events in spacetime. It takes into account both the spatial and temporal components of the events, and is used to determine whether the events are simultaneous or not.

How do you calculate a spacetime interval?

The spacetime interval is calculated using the equation Δs² = Δx² + Δy² + Δz² - c²Δt², where Δs is the spacetime interval, Δx, Δy, and Δz are the differences in the spatial coordinates, Δt is the difference in time, and c is the speed of light.

What does a positive, negative, or zero spacetime interval indicate?

A positive spacetime interval indicates that the events are separated in both space and time, meaning they are not simultaneous. A negative spacetime interval indicates that the events are separated in space but not in time, meaning they are simultaneous. A zero spacetime interval indicates that the events are at the same location in both space and time, also meaning they are simultaneous.

Can a spacetime interval be greater than the speed of light?

No, a spacetime interval cannot be greater than the speed of light. The speed of light, c, is a fundamental constant and the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel. Therefore, the spacetime interval must always be less than or equal to c.

Why is it important to calculate spacetime intervals for simultaneous events?

Calculating spacetime intervals allows us to understand the relationship between events in spacetime and determine whether they are simultaneous or not. This is important in many areas of physics, such as relativity and cosmology, and helps us to better understand the fundamental nature of the universe.