1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Spacetime Diagrams - Help With Drawing

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to draw carefully labelled spacetime diagrams (one per section) to illustrate the following:

a) The length of a 'rod' which is exactly [itex]1.0[/itex] light seconds long when at rest along the x′-axis in one frame, and which is moving along the x-axis at [itex]0.866c[/itex] in the diagram rest frame.

b) The addition of velocities as viewed from a spaceship, for the case of a missile launched at [itex]+0.80c[/itex] relative to the spaceship, itself travelling at [itex]+0.60c[/itex] relative to the Earth. Take the launch time to be at [itex]t=0[/itex] as the spaceship passes the Earth.

2. Relevant equations

Within the question statement and solutions, as relevant.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't figure out how to draw the scenario in (a). No idea. Have managed to do some simpler ones and the one in the second part of this post, but I just can't get my head around how to draw this one.

I've had a go at (b), this is what I have for the spacetime diagram (see the included image) but I'm not sure if the scales and labels are correct, I just made the 3,4,5 values as that was convenient numbers that seem to work from some quick calculations, I think I can just do that.:

http://yfrog.com/5nspacetimediag1j

Any help, particularly with (a) as I think (b) is pretty much correct hopefully, would be much appreciated. :smile:

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted