Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spacetime gravity

1. Apr 6, 2004 #1

Gold Member

maybe someone can clear up a possible misconception of mine,
    if a body can radiate gravity where does this expended radiation
    go? i have an idea that it is damped out, by spacetime, but then
    spacetime would be gaining energy.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2004 #2
    I may be wrong, but I always thought gravity is the warping of spacetime. In this case a body doesn't radiate anything it only bends the fabric of spacetime around it. Please verify anything that I am missing.
  4. Apr 6, 2004 #3
    But then again, when spacetime is warped by a body, does the warping take place because of a transfer of energy?

as you can see I'm new at all this so please correct or verify anything questionable.

sorry I can not help you much with your question
  5. Apr 6, 2004 #4
    We All Know The Basic Effects Of Gravity, But What Powers It,
    Does It's Fuel Run Out, Can It Be Refueled, Are There Limits To It's Reach?
  6. Apr 7, 2004 #5

Gold Member

here is a clip,

Gravitational Radiation is to gravity what light is to electromagnetism. It is produced when massive bodies accelerate. You can accelerate any body so as to produce such radiation, but due to the feeble strength of gravity, it is entirely undetectable except when produced by intense astrophysical sources such as supernovae, collisions of black holes, etc. These are quite far from us, typically, but they are so intense that they dwarf all possible laboratory sources of such radiation.

Gravitational waves have a polarization pattern that causes objects to expand in one direction, while contracting in the perpendicular direction. That is, they have spin two. This is because gravity waves are fluctuations in the tensorial metric of space-time.
    so is this energy "stored " in spacetime?
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?