1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spacetime Interval

1. Jun 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The spacetime interval between the origin in frame S and an event, A, is found to be r = 8
    lightseconds. In frame S' moving in Standard orientation with respect to S at speed v =
    0.5c event A is measured at a distance r' = 6 lightseconds from the origin.

(a) What is the time interval between the origin in S' and event A?

(b) Could an event at the origin and event A be causally related? Explain your answer

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am studying for upcoming exam so the solution isnt as important as understanding the question, but as far as i know the spacetime interval is invariant which is throwing me way off here, I'm certain if i can get part a i understand part b but am completely at sea with part a) any help will be greatly appreciated, cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Yes, the spacetime interval is invariant. Question (a) asks for the time interval, not spacetime interval.

4. Jun 22, 2012 #3

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, in addition to what BruceW mentioned,

I suspect that when the problem statement said,
    "...distance r' = 6 lightseconds..."
    it's not asking for the spacetime interval to A, but really asking for the x' component of r. In other words, the distance from the origin to the projection of A onto the x' axis.

It probably would have been clearer if the problem statement was worded, "measured at a distance x' = 6 lightseconds."

In other words, the spacetime interval from the origin to A is 8 lightseconds (true whether one is in S or S', since spacetime intervals are invariant). And in S', the spacial distance (not spacetime distance) from the origin to A is 6 lightseconds. Still in other words, this "6 lightseconds" vector lies along the x' axis itself.

That's my guess as to what the problem statement is trying to say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook