Exploring Spacetime Propagation in Higher-Dimensional Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a soliton-like field propagating in higher-dimensional spacetime in a way that does not cause diverging lines. It questions whether this is possible under General Relativity and if there would be causality violations. The referenced paper, which requires an advanced understanding of both GR and QFT, discusses this concept and argues for the possibility of such a scenario.
bluecap
What kind of spacetime structure can make the lines of a soliton-like field propagate in higher-dimensional space-time that do not diverge as they converge on the target. Does General Relativity make this just completely impossible? Or is there a solution of General Relativity that allows this? Would there be backward in time causality violations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a reference for the "soliton-like field" you are talking about?

Also, I'm extremely doubtful that this question can be answered at a "B" level. What background do you have in relativity?

PeterDonis said:
Do you have a reference for the "soliton-like field" you are talking about?

Also, I'm extremely doubtful that this question can be answered at a "B" level. What background do you have in relativity?

Here http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-ph/9904218. I have good background owning more than 8 books on General Relativity. Is the paper talking about soliton that travels at light speed or faster than light? Because if faster than light.. I know there would be frames in which it would appear to travel backward in time. Or if it less or just light spead. Is it talking about 5 dimensional spacetime? I know Einstein GR can be made to function in more than 4 spacetime coordinates. I just want some comments on signal propagation in more than 4d spacetime.. any papers along this line would be appreciated.

bluecap said:

As I suspected, this is an "A" level reference and is not suitable for a "B" level thread. I have changed the level of this thread to "A".

bluecap said:
I have good background owning more than 8 books on General Relativity.

How many of them are graduate level textbooks? That's the background you need to be able to understand what the paper you linked to is talking about. You don't appear to have that level of background from your posts so far.

Not only that, but just a background in GR is not enough; you also need a graduate level background in quantum field theory in curved spacetime.

I'll try to respond to your questions as best I can, but I would strongly suggest taking the time to work through graduate level textbooks in both subjects (GR and QFT) before tackling this kind of paper. It's simply not written for a person who is not already an expert in the field.

bluecap said:
Is the paper talking about soliton that travels at light speed or faster than light?

No. The "soliton" in this paper is not a particle; it's a particular configuration of a quantum field in curved spacetime in which particles can propagate in the model the paper is considering.

bluecap said:
Is it talking about 5 dimensional spacetime?

At least one example theory given in the paper is; but I don't think the paper's general argument is limited to 5-D spacetime.

bluecap said:
I just want some comments on signal propagation in more than 4d spacetime.. any papers along this line would be appreciated.

Once again, I would strongly recommend taking the time to work through graduate level textbooks on GR and QFT first. Any other papers in this area are going to require that level of background anyway.

1. What is higher-dimensional relativity?

Higher-dimensional relativity is a theory that extends the concepts of special and general relativity to higher dimensions. It proposes that the universe has more than the four dimensions (three dimensions of space and one dimension of time) that we experience in our everyday lives.

2. How does higher-dimensional relativity impact our understanding of spacetime?

Higher-dimensional relativity suggests that there are additional dimensions beyond the four we are familiar with, and that these dimensions have an effect on the way spacetime behaves. This can help explain certain phenomena, such as gravitational waves, that are not fully understood by traditional relativity theories.

3. What is spacetime propagation in higher-dimensional relativity?

Spacetime propagation in higher-dimensional relativity refers to the way that particles and energy move through the additional dimensions proposed by the theory. This movement can be affected by factors such as the curvature of spacetime and the presence of other particles.

4. How is higher-dimensional relativity being tested?

Scientists are testing higher-dimensional relativity through various experiments, such as studying the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions and observing the effects of gravitational waves. They are also using mathematical models and simulations to explore the implications of the theory.

5. What are the potential implications of higher-dimensional relativity?

If higher-dimensional relativity is confirmed, it could greatly impact our understanding of the universe and lead to new technologies and advancements. It could also help us better understand the fundamental forces of nature and potentially unlock new insights into the nature of reality.