Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SpaceX rocket fails to reland

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/10/us-space-spacex-idUSKBN0KJ08120150110

Sniff sniff! A neologism, reland?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I wonder how "reland" is different from "land". It would indicate you do landing more than once ("we relanded on a comet!").

That looks like a big step forward. The last attempts I saw where the vertical hops above the launch pad, and now they tried to use that in an actual space rocket.

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

I think that the vertical hops may have been a different project and I have seen videos of take-off, traverse, return and land. IIRC the project used an environmentally benign propellant, maybe liquid air and propane.

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Thanks for the move. Yur korrect.

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5
    The question is what velocity did they hit at and did they run out of fuel?

7. Jan 10, 2015 #6

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently it was very nearly a success but they ran out of hydraulic fluid in some component that caused the failed landing. I'd be surprised if they didn't get it right next time.

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

I noticed the fluid problem but saw no mention of a leak failure or a total loss system (open loop) exhaustion.

9. Jan 10, 2015 #8

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah I don't know any more than that. I have a couple friends who work at SpaceX but somehow I doubt they would be very forthcoming if I asked them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook