Did SpaceX's Attempt to Reland Their Rocket on a Floating Platform Fail?

In summary, SpaceX attempted to bring a rocket back to Earth in order to cut the cost of space launches. The goal was to land it on a floating platform in the Atlantic Ocean, but the attempt was unsuccessful due to issues with hydraulic fluid. However, it was a step forward in their efforts to achieve reusable rockets.
Doug Huffman
Gold Member
Seeking to cut the cost of space launches, SpaceX hoped to bring the rocket back to Earth, aiming to land it on a floating platform in the Atlantic Ocean some 200 miles (322 km) off Jacksonville, Fla., north of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station launch site. A ship stationed near the platform tried to capture the touchdown on video, but it was too dark and foggy, Musk said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/10/us-space-spacex-idUSKBN0KJ08120150110

Sniff sniff! A neologism, reland?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder how "reland" is different from "land". It would indicate you do landing more than once ("we relanded on a comet!").

That looks like a big step forward. The last attempts I saw where the vertical hops above the launch pad, and now they tried to use that in an actual space rocket.

I think that the vertical hops may have been a different project and I have seen videos of take-off, traverse, return and land. IIRC the project used an environmentally benign propellant, maybe liquid air and propane.

Thanks for the move. Yur korrect.

The question is what velocity did they hit at and did they run out of fuel?

Apparently it was very nearly a success but they ran out of hydraulic fluid in some component that caused the failed landing. I'd be surprised if they didn't get it right next time.

Likes edpell
I noticed the fluid problem but saw no mention of a leak failure or a total loss system (open loop) exhaustion.

Yeah I don't know any more than that. I have a couple friends who work at SpaceX but somehow I doubt they would be very forthcoming if I asked them.

1. What caused the SpaceX rocket to fail to reland?

The exact cause of the failure is not yet known, but it is believed to be related to a malfunction in one of the rocket's engines. SpaceX is currently investigating the issue and will release more information as it becomes available.

2. Has this ever happened before with a SpaceX rocket?

Yes, this is not the first time a SpaceX rocket has failed to reland. In fact, in the early days of the company, many of their rockets experienced failures during landing attempts. However, SpaceX has made significant improvements and has successfully landed many rockets since then.

3. How does this impact the future of SpaceX and its missions?

While this failure is certainly a setback for SpaceX, it is not expected to have a major impact on the company's future missions. SpaceX has a track record of learning from their failures and making improvements to their rockets. This incident will likely lead to further improvements and advancements in their technology.

4. Will this delay any upcoming launches?

It is possible that this failure may cause a delay in future launches, as SpaceX will need to thoroughly investigate and address the issue before launching another rocket. However, the company has a history of quickly recovering from setbacks, so any delays are likely to be minimal.

5. What safety measures does SpaceX have in place to prevent rocket failures?

SpaceX has a number of safety measures in place to prevent rocket failures, including redundant systems and rigorous testing and inspection procedures. However, as with any complex technology, failures can still occur and it is important for the company to continuously improve and refine their safety protocols.