1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Spaghetti Beam Breaking?

1. Jun 23, 2017 #1
    Hi fellow members,
    I have one question for you that may seem basic and easy that is however concerning me: why when 3 spaghetti are tied together it is harder to break them than when they are separated by a certain distance?

Thank you in advance!

NB :Number of spaghetti and reparation don't really matter, just for the sake of quantifying.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2017 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One would have to know the exact setup and how "harder to break" was measured. When separated, do they break one-by-one, while breaking together when combined?

4. Jun 23, 2017 #3
    Alright, sorry for being unclear. The image is the set up for the spaghetti when they are separated and they break by applying a small mass. When the spaghetti are instead close together (no separatio) the mass needed to break them is bigger. Why is that?

Attached Files:

5. Jun 23, 2017 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Draw a vector diagram for both cases, with the horizontal and vertical components of the force by the string on the outer beams. It's simpler with just two beams.

6. Jun 23, 2017 #5
    Sorry buy Ì dont understand how it can be helpful. I just want to know why when the three spaghetti are together you need more force to break them than when they are separated. Is it because they have less shear stress or something to this extent?

7. Jun 23, 2017 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which is why you should do it.

8. Jun 23, 2017 #7
    Hahaha fairs but I don't know how to...

9. Jun 23, 2017 #8

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Jun 23, 2017 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Try reading on the concept of moment of inertia....it has something in common with torque.

11. Jun 23, 2017 #10
    I Think I have figured out a rough explanation. So, in the case of the separated spaghetti, even if we attach a lower mass an angle between the anchor point and the load is created. The angle is >0° and therefore more load is distributed on each anchor point. When the spaghetti are tied together the angle is =0° and therefore, up until a certain extent, even if we attach a heavier load, the distribution on the anchor point would be less than if the spaghetti were separated.
    Is it somehow right?

12. Jun 23, 2017 #11

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Jun 23, 2017 #12
    Yes, Now it's all' much clearer. Thank you so much!!!

14. Jul 3, 2017 #13
    Note: Spaghetti breaks due to large pressure not force.
    When you tie together 3 spaghetti the force is distributed along a larger area compared to a single spaghetti, hence you need larger force to apply the pressure required to break the spaghetti. Therefore its harder to break it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted