Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spam and exploit scans are out of control

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1

graphic7

Gold Member

I woke up this morning, and I noticed I had over 50 attempts for relaying through my mail server (mostly from Asian net ranges). I feel strongly that this has gotten out of control, and I wish I could report the individual IPs to their corresponding ISPs, knowing they would take the appropiate actions. As we all know, ISPs are very, very lazy when it comes to customer abuse. Bellsouth, for instance, still uses a real-time blacklist that, as the author says, should no longer be used, and encourages people to contact their respective ISPs and alert them that the blacklist is no longer maintained.

To add more grunts and groans, I checked my web server logs and noticed a ton of IIS exploit attempts (isn't Code Red over?). This, I believe, is more serious than spam, and actions should definitely be taken against this garbage; however, ISPs are lazy.

The only protective measure I've been able to implement is filtering out the netranges (three Class A's and a few B's and C's - all Asian).

:devil: :devil: :devil:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2004 #2

Cod

You mention the IP ranges mostly coming from Asia, isn't Asia the host to more proxy servers than another other place? I know the few times I've used a proxy, they were located all throughout Asia. Also, I noticed most of the Asian proxies are far more anonymous and secure than those in Europe and the United States.

4. Dec 28, 2004 #3
    IIS? It will take me only a few seconds to tell you why i would never have IIS as my webserver. I'm straight-up apache. Hey, Cod since you live in Georgia could I send you a private message regarding colleges in Georgia?

5. Dec 28, 2004 #4

graphic7

Gold Member

Even more of a reason to block the Asian netblocks.

I'm aware of IIS's flaws. In my previous post I never said I ran IIS. I merely stated that I'm being constantly probed for IIS security vulenerbilities.

6. Dec 28, 2004 #5
    ok graphic7, good to know that you don't run IIS.

7. Dec 29, 2004 #6

Cod

Sure buddy. I'd be glad to help you in any way possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?