Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spammers/flooders.

1. Mar 28, 2005 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

A question mainly for the Mentors, and for anyone else who owns or moderates a message board. When someone/a group spams and floods your mesage board with numerous different accounts and pointless threads, what do you do other than block usernames and IPs? Is there any other action that can be taken?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, that's about it. You can, if needed, close the site to new registrations, but we feel such an action is catastrophic. We just stay vigilant, watch the New Members page, and act quickly. It's normally easier for us to clean up spam than it is for the spammers to place it in the first place.

- Warren

4. Mar 28, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I'm not sure my message board allows closure to new registration, but I'll have a poke about on the admin control panel to see if I can use it as a last resort. I guess I'll just keep up deleting things and banning 'til this blows over.
    Thanks.

5. Mar 30, 2005 #4
    i think this thread it self is a spam ^^

6. Mar 30, 2005 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

What makes you say that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?