What is the relationship between span and dimension?

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving that there is no generating set for "x" with less than "n" vectors, where "n" is the dimension of the basis of "x". The conversation also mentions the importance of a basis having linearly independent vectors and the need for a mathematical definition of a basis in order to start the proof.
safi

Homework Statement

Hi, I have to prove that there's no exist a generating set for "x" with less of "n" vectors when "n" is the dimension of the basis of "x"

Homework Equations

is there a span(x) whith dimension m? when m<n and n is the dimension of the basis

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that all the basis of a vectorial space must have the same dimension, and the basis have linearly independient vectors, so I can't remove any of them, but I don't know how sow that its not possible that existence of that span

Physics news on Phys.org
to start this proof, I think you need to start with a mathematical definition of what a basis actually is.

1. What is the difference between span and dimension?

Span refers to the number of vectors in a basis, while dimension refers to the number of vectors in a basis that are linearly independent.

2. How are span and dimension related?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of vectors in any basis for that space. Therefore, the span of a set of vectors can determine the dimension of a vector space.

3. Can the span of a set of vectors be greater than the dimension of the vector space?

No, the span of a set of vectors cannot be greater than the dimension of the vector space. The span of a set of vectors is always a subspace of the vector space, and the dimension of a subspace cannot be greater than the dimension of the vector space.

4. How can I find the span of a set of vectors?

The span of a set of vectors can be found by determining the linear combinations of the vectors in the set. The span will include all possible linear combinations of the vectors.

5. Can the dimension of a vector space change?

No, the dimension of a vector space is a fundamental property of that space and cannot change. However, the basis for the vector space may change, resulting in a different set of vectors that span the same space with the same dimension.