1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Span{} and the zero vector

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It's not so much a homework problem as it is something I was wondering. Our book is horrible, and does not explicitly state that the zero vector is always in the span of two vectors. If I am understanding things right:

if v and u are vectors
    [tex]span(v, u)[/tex]
    is the collection of all points that can be reached via a linear combination of v and u. My reasoning is that if v is equal to u, then span{v,u} = span{v} = span{u}, which is essentially a line. However, it seems to me that in any space, R^2, R^3,...,R^n, the span{} of any n vectors will always go through the origin and thus, the zero vector will always be in that collection. Is that accurate?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Yes. Notice that if [itex]S[/itex] is a set and [itex]v \in S[/itex], then [itex]0 \cdot v = 0 \in \mathrm{Span}(S)[/itex].

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    Yup, since the weights of the linear combination can be zero. Thanks, I just wanted clarification due to the books grey area. I know it seems obvious, but you would have to read this book to understand the confusion :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook