Span and Vector Space: Understanding Vectors in Linear Algebra

In summary, the question is whether the span of three vectors in a vector space V is equal to V or if it is only a subset of V. The answer is yes to both questions, as long as the vectors are linearly independent and the vector space V is not more than 3-dimensional. If these conditions are not met, then the span of the three vectors may not be the full vector space V.
Poetria

Homework Statement

The question is:
if vectors v1, v2, v3 belong to a vector space V does it follow that:

span (v1, v2, v3) = V

span (v1, v2, v3) is a subset of V.[/B]

2. The attempt at a solution:

If I understand it correctly the answer to both questions is yes.
The first: the linear combinations of these three vectors fill the space V.

Am I correct? I would like to make sure if I have understood the definitions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Poetria said:

Homework Statement

The question is:
if vectors v1, v2, v3 belong to a vector space V does it follow that:

span (v1, v2, v3) = V

span (v1, v2, v3) is a subset of V.[/B]

2. The attempt at a solution:

If I understand it correctly the answer to both questions is yes.
The first: the linear combinations of these three vectors fill the space V.

Am I correct? I would like to make sure if I have understood the definitions.

Why must the span of three vectors be the full vector space? If so, then why not the span of just two vectors?

Likes Poetria
PeroK said:
Why must the span of three vectors be the full vector space? If so, then why not the span of just two vectors?

Yes, I know, they should be linearly independent to be a spanning set. Well, we don't know if they are independent. :( I guess there may be also other vectors needed for a spanning set for the vector space V: we don't know this either. In this case the answer to the first question would be negative. But the second would hold. Have I got it?

I have read the definitions so many times that I am somewhat dizzy.

Poetria said:
Yes, I know, they should be linearly independent to be a spanning set. Well, we don't know if they are independent. :( I guess there may be also other vectors needed for a spanning set for the vector space V: we don't know this either. In this case the answer to the first question would be negative. But the second would hold. Have I got it?

I have read the definitions so many times that I am somewhat dizzy.

There are two reasons why the span of ##v_1, v_2, v_3## may not be all of ##V##. If ##V## is 3-dimensional, the vectors may be linearly dependent. And, ##V## may be more than 3-dimensional in the first place.

Likes Poetria
PeroK said:
There are two reasons why the span of ##v_1, v_2, v_3## may not be all of ##V##. If ##V## is 3-dimensional, the vectors may be linearly dependent. And, ##V## may be more than 3-dimensional in the first place.

Thank you very much. Everything is clear to me now. :)

1. What is the difference between span and vector space?

The span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. A vector space is a collection of vectors that satisfies certain properties, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, the span is a subset of the vector space.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors spans a vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors spans a vector space, you can use the span test. This involves setting up a system of equations using the vectors as the variables, and solving for the constants. If the system has a solution for every vector in the vector space, then the set of vectors spans the vector space.

3. Can a single vector span a vector space?

No, a single vector cannot span a vector space. This is because a vector space must contain the zero vector, and a single vector cannot produce the zero vector through linear combinations. However, a single vector can span a one-dimensional subspace of a vector space.

4. What are the characteristics of a vector space?

A vector space must have a set of vectors, a field of scalars, and two operations - addition and scalar multiplication - that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, commutativity, associativity, distributivity, and the existence of an identity element and inverse elements.

5. Can a vector space contain an infinite number of vectors?

Yes, a vector space can contain an infinite number of vectors. This is because a vector space can have any number of dimensions, and each dimension can have an infinite number of vectors. For example, the vector space of all real numbers is an infinite-dimensional vector space.