1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Span of an infinite set S

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give S = {(x,|x|,2|x|) | x [itex]\in[/itex] R} [itex]\bigcup[/itex] {(0,2,4),(-1,3,6)}, find span(S)

2. Relevant equations
    I know that span of a finite set of vectors is given by <a(0,2,4) + b(-1,3,6)+c(x,|x|,2|x|)>, where a,b,c are any real numbers. Can i use that same way to find the span of this infinite set.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is the solution same as the vector span for a finite set like span(S) = <a(0,2,4) + b(-1,3,6)+c(x,|x|,2|x|)>, or is it something else?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Lots of those x vectors are multiples of each other. I would start by looking at what S looks like for x > 0 and x < 0.

4. Sep 8, 2013 #3
    So for any values of x I pick. the x vectors will be linearly dependent and they cannot form my span? So would that mean the span(S) = span of linearly independent independent vectors in S. So span(S) = <a(0,2,4)+b(-1,3,6)>?

5. Sep 8, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know what you are trying to say here. I will say it again: what do the x vectors look like if ##x > 0## versus ##x<0##? You might start by actually answering that question.

6. Sep 8, 2013 #5
    So for x<0 The x vectors look like(x,-x,-2x) and for x>0 the x vectors look like (x,x,2x).

7. Sep 8, 2013 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And if you factor an x out of each what happens? And why do you say they are linearly dependent?

8. Sep 8, 2013 #7
    OH my fault, I see they are linearly independent. So could I generalize this and write span(S) = {a(1,1,2) + b(1,-1,2) + c(0,0,0) + d(0,2,4) + e(-1,3,6)} given a>0, b<0, c,d and e are any real numbers?

9. Sep 8, 2013 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that b vector correct?

Usually when you are asked to describe a span you wouldn't include extra vectors that don't add anything. Since these are 3D vectors you would expect at most to need 3 vectors and maybe fewer to get an independent spanning set. And remember that a span automatically doesn't restrict the multiplying constants to positive or negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted