Conditions for Strict Inequality in Span Intersection

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the span of the intersection of two subsets is a subset of the intersection of the spans of the subsets. The conversation also explores the necessary and sufficient conditions for equality and strict inequality in this scenario. An analytical approach is suggested, with the caveat of avoiding the case where the two subsets are equal.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##S_1## and ##S_2## be subsets of the vector space ##V##. Prove that ##span (S_1 \cap S_2) \subseteq span(S_1) \cap span(S_2)##. Given an examples of ##S_1## and ##S_2## for which equality holds and for which the inequality is strict.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually solved the problem written out in part 1--it was rather easy. But in the course of solving it, I wondered about the necessary and sufficient conditions for ##span(S_1) \cap span(S_2) \subseteq span(S_1 \cap S_2)##. I tried discovering them on my own, but this proved rather difficult. Are there any necessary and sufficient conditions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Let ##S_1## and ##S_2## be subsets of the vector space ##V##. Prove that ##span (S_1 \cap S_2) \subseteq span(S_1) \cap span(S_2)##. Given an examples of ##S_1## and ##S_2## for which equality holds and for which the inequality is strict.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually solved the problem written out in part 1--it was rather easy. But in the course of solving it, I wondered about the necessary and sufficient conditions for ##span(S_1) \cap span(S_2) \subseteq span(S_1 \cap S_2)##. I tried discovering them on my own, but this proved rather difficult. Are there any necessary and sufficient conditions?
Simply have a look on two lines in a (Euclidean) plane and discuss the possible cases.

Sorry to nitpick, but of course you want to avoid ## S_1=S_2 ##. And then you can do it analytically: If ##x \in S_1 \cap S_2 ## , then ## Span(S_1) \cap Span(S_2)## will contain ##Span {x_1}## , etc. Then try to find general form for element on ## Span(S_1) \cap Span(S_2)## that is not on the left.

1. What is the "Span of an Intersection"?

The "Span of an Intersection" refers to the total length or duration of time that two intersecting events or phenomena occur simultaneously.

2. How is the "Span of an Intersection" calculated?

The "Span of an Intersection" is calculated by measuring the distance or time overlap between the two intersecting events or phenomena. This can be done by using mathematical equations or by physically measuring the extent of the overlap.

3. Can the "Span of an Intersection" be negative?

Yes, the "Span of an Intersection" can be negative if the two intersecting events or phenomena occur sequentially, with one starting before the other ends. In this case, the overlap between the two is considered to have a negative duration or length.

4. Why is the "Span of an Intersection" important in scientific research?

The "Span of an Intersection" is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to understand the relationship between two intersecting events or phenomena. It can also provide valuable information about the duration of a certain process or the timing of events.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the "Span of an Intersection"?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of the "Span of an Intersection". For example, the duration of a solar eclipse can be considered as the "Span of an Intersection" between the Earth, Moon, and Sun. Another example is the overlap between the breeding seasons of different animal species in an ecosystem.