1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Span of subspace

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here's a statement, and I am supposed to show that it holds.

If x,y, and z are vectors such that x+y+z=0, then x and y span the same subspace as y and z.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

If x+y+z=0 it means that the set {x,y,z} of vectors is linearly dependent. Because of this dependence, the vectors cannot span a subspace with dimension greater than 2.
    That is, they can span subspaces with dimensions 0,1 and 2.

• If they span a subspace with dim=0, then x=y=z=0.
    • If they span a subspace with dim=1, then two vectors are negative multiples of each other with the third one being the zero vector.
    • If they span a subspace with dim=2, then one is a linear combination (with -1 as coefficients) of the other two.

In all these cases x and y span the same subspace as y and z.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I think you are missing the point of the question.

Let v be in the subspace spanned by x and y. Then v= ax+ by for some numbers a and b. But x+ y+ z= 0 so x= -y- z. v= a(-y- z)+ by= (b-a)y+ (-a)z. That is, v is a linear combination of y and z and so is in the span of y and z.

That proves that the subspace spanned by x and y is a subspace of the span of y and z. I will leave it to you to show that the span of y and z is a subspace of the span of x and y.

Let v be in the subspace spanned by y and z, Then v= ....

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    Ah, I certainly missed the point of the question!

Let v be in the subspace spanned by y and z.
    Then v=ay+bz for some numbers a and b.
    But x+y+z=0 so z=-x-y.
    v=(a-b)y+(-bx), that is, v is a linear combination of y and x and so is in the span of y and x.
    This proves that the subpsace spanned by y and z is a subspace of the span of y and x.

We have now proved that the subspace spanned by x and y is the same as the one spanned by y and z.

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook