Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Span of Vectors

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    As I study today, I read through my textbook that says if Ax=b has non-trival solution, then b span in A.

I want to know how can I prove it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand what you mean by "b span in A". Can you post the exact claim you came across? You should also tell us where you found it. What book? What page number?

4. Oct 14, 2014 #3
    Sounds like it should be b is in THE span OF (the column vectors of) A. The proof would just be knowing the definition of span, plus multiplying A times x and writing it out in terms of the components of x.

5. Oct 14, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "range" of A, the set of all vector of the form Av for some v in the domain of A, is sometimes called the "span" of A. Since we can take, in succession, v= <1, 0, 0, ..., 0>, v= <0, 1, 0, ..., 0>, v= <0, 0, 1, ..., 0>, to v= <0, 0, 0, ..., 1> and applying A to each of those gives a column of A, it can be shown that the columns of A span the range of A. And, if A is invertible, form a basis for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook