1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spaningset theorem

1. Jun 14, 2005 #1
    Spaning set theorem (new Question)

Hi

I have a couple of questions regarding an assignment which deals with the spanning set theorem.

Hope You can help

The matrix [tex]A = [a1 \ a2 \ a3 \ a4 \ a5] = \left[ \begin{array}{ccccc} 1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 & 2 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 2 \\ -1 & 2 & 2 & 3 & 1 \end{array} \right][/tex]

a) First I determin the rank of A rank(A) = 3

The dimension of Null A: dim (Null A) = 2

b) Determin a basis for A's column space.

I do this using the spanning set theorem.

Since a3 = a2, a4 = 2a2 + a1 then

B(ColA) = sp{a1,a2, a5} According to the theorem.

c) Next the basis for the B(Null A).

First I row reduce A and then up and write up the set of solutions for A which results in the set B(Null A) = span{(0,-1,1,0) , (1,-2,0,1)}

Is that the correct approach ??

d) There is a vector x = a1 + a2 + a3 + a4 + a5. I'm tasked with showing that this vector belongs to Col A. Finally I'm tasked with finding the vector x with respect to the basis B.

I need some assistance is solving c) and d) therefore I hope there is somebody out there who can guide me :-)

Sincerely and Best Regards,

Fred

/Fred

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted