Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spanish Help!

1. May 12, 2003 #1
    I'm not supposed to know any of the stuff I'm about to ask yet, but due to my extreme need to "know," I have to ask. Thanks!

Could anyone give me examples of the pluperfect (in indicative and subjunctive), imperfect (in subjunctive), the "pretérito anterior" (I guess that means anterior preterite (indicative), and the anterior future (indicative and subjunctive).

I would be able to figure this out myself, given a verb conjugated in these tenses, but I don't even know what 1/2 of this stuff is in English! So, if anyone could just give me examples (in English and Spanish, so I can compare) of any one or all of these things, it would help a great deal! Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2003 #2
    Good grief and good luck...

I don't know any of that stuff in any language !
    I've always been happy to have conversational abilities.
  4. May 12, 2003 #3
    I don't remember what pluperfect is, and I can't remember the difference between subjunctive and indicative. However, in the past tense, imperfect is kind of like an active/transitive verb. "I was going", as opposed to preterite, which would be "I went". In imperfect, you're describing something that has been happening up until now ("You've been running") or something that was occurring over an interval of time when something else happened ("I studied while you were sleeping"--"were sleeping" is imperfect, and "I studied" is preterite).

All in all, there are too many damn conjugations!
  5. May 14, 2003 #4
    Thanks, I do understant preterite, imperfect, subjunctive, indicative, etc., I just found some really wierd tenses online, but I think I may have figured some of them out off of a website that I went on.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?