Is my Spanish composition about my parents accurate and grammatically correct?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, the author wrote about his parents' love story, starting with how they met at MIT and how they didn't get along at first but now tell each other stories. He also mentions their arguments and how they kissed when they needed happiness. The author asks for feedback on the use of reflexive verbs and if the composition makes sense.
courtrigrad
Could someone please edit this spanish composition I wrote:

El novas de mis padres
Hace veinte años mis padres se encontraron en el instituto de MIT. Mi padre fue estudiar para un examen de física. Al principo, mis padres no se llevaron. Sin embargo, ahora los dos se cantaron cuentos. Usualmente se enojaron. Antes de mi nacimiento, mi madre no trabajó. Mi padre, sin embargo, trabajó para Johnson y Johnson. Ellos se besaron cuando los dos necesitan felicidad. A veces los dos se lucharon. Los dos se pelearon. Hoy los dos discutaron sobre eventos mejores.

Does it make sense? Also am I using the reflexive verbs properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:

Only Johnson y Johnson makes sense to me, because my boy uses it.

It has to have reflexive verbs. Are all of the verbs I use or most of them reflexive?

I am not a Spaniard, but I can understand what you wrote. Very good Spanish language you used. :wink:

Hm, the story's kinda choppy. How many years of Spanish have you had? And a majority of your past tense verbs should be in the imperfect form. Let's see:

Verbs to change to the imperfect:
-enojaron -> enojaban, trabajó -> trabajaba, lucharon -> luchaban, and pelearon -> peleaban
"fue estudiar" should be "estaba estudiando"
Al principo -> Al principio
Sin embargo, ahora los dos se cantaron cuentos. -This doesn't make much sense to me. Do you mean to say "Nevertheless, now the two tell each other stories?" If so, the present tense is needed.
And is your last sentence supposed to read "Today, the two discuss better events."? Again, the present tense is needed, and the verb is "discutir," not "discutar." Also, the 'sobre' is not necessary.

Nonetheless, a cute story and a general good grasp of the language, excluding the verb tense issue.

ok thanks a lot

courtrigrad said:
El novas de mis padres
Hace veinte años mis padres se encontraron en el instituto de MIT. Mi padre fue estudiar para un examen de física. Al principo, mis padres no se llevaron. Sin embargo, ahora los dos se cantaron cuentos. Usualmente se enojaron. Antes de mi nacimiento, mi madre no trabajó. Mi padre, sin embargo, trabajó para Johnson y Johnson. Ellos se besaron cuando los dos necesitan felicidad. A veces los dos se lucharon. Los dos se pelearon. Hoy los dos discutaron sobre eventos mejores.

Quite correct, but the correct version is this:

El noviazgo de mis padres:
Hace veinte años mis padres se encontraron en el MIT (Instituto de Tecnología de Massachusets). Mi padre fue a estudiar para un examen de física. Al principio, mis padres no se llevaron bien. Sin embargo, ahora los dos se cuentan cuentos. Usualmente se enojaron. Antes de mi nacimiento, mi madre no trabajó. Mi padre, sin embargo, trabajó para Johnson y Johnson. Ellos se besaron cuando los dos necesitaban felicidad. A veces los dos luchaban. Los dos se pelearon. Hoy los dos discutieron sobre eventos mejores.

Last edited:

1. Is it important for my Spanish composition about my parents to be accurate and grammatically correct?

Yes, it is important for your Spanish composition to be accurate and grammatically correct because it reflects your understanding of the language and your ability to effectively communicate your thoughts and ideas. It also shows respect for the language and your audience.

2. How can I ensure that my Spanish composition about my parents is accurate?

You can ensure accuracy in your Spanish composition by double-checking your facts and information, using reliable sources, and consulting with a native Spanish speaker or a language tutor for feedback and corrections.

3. What are some common grammatical mistakes to avoid in a Spanish composition about my parents?

Some common grammatical mistakes to avoid in a Spanish composition include incorrect verb conjugation, incorrect use of articles and prepositions, and incorrect word order. It's important to review and practice these grammar rules to avoid making these mistakes.

4. Can I use online translation tools to write my Spanish composition about my parents?

No, it is not recommended to use online translation tools for writing a Spanish composition. These tools may not accurately translate your ideas and can often result in grammatical errors. It's best to write in Spanish using your own knowledge and understanding of the language.

5. Do I need to have native-level fluency in Spanish to write an accurate and grammatically correct composition about my parents?

No, you don't need to have native-level fluency in Spanish to write an accurate and grammatically correct composition. However, it's important to have a good understanding of the language and to continuously practice and improve your skills. Seeking feedback and assistance from a native speaker or a language tutor can also help improve the accuracy of your composition.