Spanish or french?

• Thread starter En_lizard
  • Start date

which one comes more handy french or spanish?

• french

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • spanish

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • others(explain it in your post)

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

radou

Homework Helper
Do most know french or spanish?

France, Belgum, and Switzerland speak french.

I can only think of spain speaking spanish.
Whole Switzerland doesn't speek french.

Btw, Belgium and Switzerland are small. And of course france speaks french. And they speak only french.

But Im not talking about number of people. Im talking about number of places one can travel and speak a certain language.

LOTS of people speak chinese............in china. So unless your in china, knowing chinese is not all that useful elsewhere.

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
French an "official" language in Europe?
Wow, I thought German and Spanish were as "official" as French. But no language comes close to the officialness of English.
The European parliament and other collaborations such as ESA all only use French or English as the official language.

EL

Science Advisor
The European parliament and other collaborations such as ESA all only use French or English as the official language.
Really? But everyone speaks their own language in the Parliament?

Last edited:

radou

Homework Helper
No, us Croats, for example, speak french in our parliament. :biggrin:

EL

Science Advisor
No, us Croats, for example, speak french in our parliament. :biggrin:
Sure.:tongue2:
Actually I mean the European Parliament!

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well the elected members of the parliament from member states can't be expected to know one of either english or french but the permanent staff there adhere to this rule. Why german isn't a third option is beyond me because its the second most common language in europe with french being third.

EL

Science Advisor
Well the elected members of the parliament from member states can't be expected to know one of either english or french but the permanent staff there adhere to this rule. Why german isn't a third option is beyond me because its the second most common language in europe with french being third.
Probably because the French are so stubborn and refuse to learn English...

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper
¿Francés? o ¿español?, vaya pero que tremendo lío. Bueno, que tal si vos aprende la lengua de Cervantes?

...que tal si vos aprende la lengua de Cervantes?
I thought for a second that this was a very crappy French..
Never realized how similar Spanish and French are..
I always knew Italian was similar...

which one is easier to learn?

radou

Homework Helper
Probably because the French are so stubborn and refuse to learn English...
That's exactly the reason why I feel a bit sorry for learning french for 4 years.

which one is easier to learn?
French grammar is hard, but then, I don't know about spanish grammar, since I didn't learn spanish.

Btw, Belgium and Switzerland are small. And of course france speaks french. And they speak only french.
More than 60 % of the Belgian people speak Dutch as their mothertongue ! But, yes , we also speak French. I agree with Cyrus though, French is more spoken in Europe than Spanish.

You are right when you say that the French suck at speaking other languages, but so do the Italians and the Spanish. Trust me, i know from a daily experience LOL :)

marlon

Last edited:
French grammar is hard, but then, I don't know about spanish grammar, since I didn't learn spanish.
I studied French for 8 years in highschool (which is required here in Belgium) and i also studied Italian in evening classes. I assure you that French grammar is much harder than Spanish/Italian grammar.

marlon