Spanning set of U={w€R3|w(dot)(3,-2,1)=0}

• Thread starter daniel123244
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the problem is to find a spanning set for the plane through the origin with a normal of (3, -2, 1) in R3. The solution involves using the equation u • v = 0, where u is the given normal vector and v is a vector on the plane. The resulting equation represents a line in R3, which forms the spanning set U for the plane.
daniel123244

Homework Statement

Basically I am trying to find a spanning set for the plane through the origin with a normal of
(3,-2,1) that is an element of R3

"Let u = (3, 2, 1), and U ={wεR|w*u=0}"
Find a spanning set for U

2. The attempt at a solution

Just guessing blindly here:

(3,-2,1)=3(1,0,0)-2(0,1,0)+1(0,0,1)
we were taught to say (1,0,0)=e1, (0,1,0)=e2, and (0,0,1)=e3 so:

3e1-2e2+e3 would be a linear combination of this vector (?)

then if I let:
v=(x,y,z)=x(1,0,0)+y(0,1,0)+z(0,0,1)

u(dot)v=3xe1-2ye2+ze3=0

so does U=span{3xe1,-2ye2,ze3} ? I just don't know how to account for the fact that they equal 0 in the span.

Thank you to anyone who can help!

Physics news on Phys.org
3. The attempt at a solutionThe equation u • v = 0 is equivalent to 3x - 2y + z = 0. This equation represents a line in R3, the set of all vectors that are on this line form our spanning set U. Therefore, U = {(x, y, z)|3x - 2y + z = 0}.

1. What is a spanning set?

A spanning set is a set of vectors that can be used to create any other vector in a given vector space through linear combinations.

2. What does U={w€R3|w(dot)(3,-2,1)=0} mean?

This notation means that U is a set of all vectors w in R3 (3-dimensional space) that satisfy the given condition of having a dot product of 0 with the vector (3,-2,1).

3. How do I determine if a vector is in U?

To determine if a vector is in U, you can simply take the dot product of the vector with (3,-2,1) and check if it equals 0.

4. Can there be more than one spanning set for a vector space?

Yes, there can be multiple spanning sets for a vector space. However, all of these sets will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the vector space.

5. Why is finding a spanning set important?

Finding a spanning set is important because it allows us to represent any vector in a given vector space using a linear combination of the vectors in the spanning set. This can be useful in solving problems involving vector spaces and linear transformations.