Does the Set S Span P3? Solving for Linear Span in Vectors

• Thread starter eyehategod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discussed how to determine if a set of vectors spans a given space, and the importance of understanding the definition of spanning sets. The conversation also emphasized the importance of learning definitions rather than just methods for solving specific problems.
eyehategod
Determine whether the set S={x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-2x,x[tex]^{3}[/tex]+8,x[tex]^{3}[/tex]-x[tex]^{2}[/tex],x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-4} spans P3

for example, if i had S={(123),(234),(345)} and asked to determin if this set spans R[tex]^{3}[/tex], then I would write these components as a matrix and then reduce to echelon form. From there Id be able to tell if this set spans R[tex]^{3}[/tex].

But for this problem I don't know how to approach it. Its the first time i see a problem like this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first you need to think what P3 is (I don't know what you mean by it!), and then you need to recall your definition of a spanning set. Then you need to have a go at proving it, and post what you get!

Do as cristo says. Come back with as much information as you can get. If you still don't get it, I'll offer some more help and a way (probably better way) to thinking about spanning sets.

goddammit I am starting to hate this forum.

eyehategod said:

Well, that's a good way to get others to give up their free time to help you :rolleyes:. We're not here to give out answers to homework questions.

i tried the method that i posted first and I am getting that this set does span P3. Is this the right answer?

eyehategod said:

We have a choice to either A... feed you the solution so you can pass the assignment, or B... help you to solve problems so you can pass the class. B is the wise choice. And yes, wise actions and answers are a ***** sometimes.

eyehategod said:
i tried the method that i posted first and I am getting that this set does span P3. Is this the right answer?

If it doesn't span R^3, then you must also show this too. You can't just say... no it doesn't span R^3 and show no work.

All we're asking is that you check what it means to span R^3. If you don't really know what spanning is, you'll never able to show any work or solve any problems relating to spanning a set.

I was a TA for Linear Algebra and no one knew anything about spanning sets and basically all lost marks or didn't get any at all. For those who showed up to my seminar and listened to my straight up way of working with spanning sets, they did well.

I have a question and see if you can answer it. It requires no work at all.

Do the following vectors (1,2) and (2,3) span a set?

it spans R^2. the only method i know requires me to write these vectors in matrix form.
i would ge:
1 2
2 3

reduced to echelon form i would get

1 2
0 -1

this tells me the set Spans R^2.
if a row had been all 0s, then the set would span R^1.
is this approach correct?

eyehategod said:
it spans R^2. the only method i know requires me to write these vectors in matrix form.
i would ge:
1 2
2 3

reduced to echelon form i would get

1 2
0 -1

this tells me the set Spans R^2.
if a row had been all 0s, then the set would span R^1.
is this approach correct?

Yes, it would be correct to say that the spanning set is isomorphic to R^1, but not that is spans R^1.

Now, check if the set you have now spans P_3, or even R^3 since it's basically the same because... 3x^2 + 1 can be written in the vector form (3,0,1), right?

if any vector in P_3 can be written as a linear combo of the vectors in S, then can i conclude that the set S spans P_3?

eyehategod said:
if any vector in P_3 can be written as a linear combo of the vectors in S, then can i conclude that the set S spans P_3?

Exactly!

eureka!

eyehategod said:
That is, in fact, the definition of "span". It's a good idea to spend more time learning definitions than learning methods of solving specific problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Homework Help

BTW, eyehategod, this looks like a homework question. If so, next time you should post HW questions in the "Homework Help" forum at PF, which has some special rules.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of "span" in mathematics?

In mathematics, the span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors.

2. How do you determine if a set spans a particular vector space?

To determine if a set spans a vector space, you can check if every vector in that vector space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the given set. If so, the set spans the vector space.

3. What is the significance of determining if a set spans a vector space?

Determining if a set spans a vector space helps us understand the size and scope of the vector space. It also helps us determine if the set is a basis for the vector space, which is important in many mathematical applications.

4. What is the difference between a spanning set and a basis?

A spanning set is a set of vectors that can be used to represent all vectors in a given vector space. A basis is a special type of spanning set that is linearly independent, meaning that no vector in the basis can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors. A basis is the smallest possible spanning set for a vector space.

5. How do you prove that a set spans a particular vector space?

To prove that a set spans a vector space, you can show that every vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the given set. This can be done by setting up a system of equations and solving for the coefficients of the linear combinations.