1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spanning sets of polynomial functions

1. Mar 10, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Spanning sets of polynomial functions (urgent)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which o the following are spanning sets for the vector space P2 of polynomial functions of degree [tex]\leq[/tex]2? (give reasons or your answers)

a.) 2, t^2, t, 2t^2 +3

b.)t+2, t^2 -1

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not entirely sure how to do this but i think i need to show that any vector in P2 can be written as a linear combination of the elements in the set.

So for a.) i wrote out the generic polynomial of P2 with scalar coefficients:

at^2 + bt + c= 2p + qt^2 + xt + 2yt^2 + 3z

In this case a = q+2y, b = x, c = 2p+3z

I then put this into an augmented matirx and reduced it to:

p 0 0 0 3z/a c/a
    0 q 0 2y 0 a
    0 0 x 0 0 b

I don't really know what i am supposed to do from here, i was just following a worked example but the conclusion is unclear in it and i don't knoaw what to do. I followed the same procedure or b.) and got this augmented matrix:

a -b/2 0 z/2
    0 0 0 x-z
    0 0 0 y+z

Im a bit unsure if this is right, but i don't know how to proceed. Any help please, urgent also.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?