1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spanning sets

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the following set of vectors are subspaces of R^m

The set of all vectors (x,y,z) such that x+y+z=0 of R^3 .

Then find a set that spans this subspace.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I managed to proof that the set of vectors is a subspace by showing that it is non-empty, closed under addition and scalar multiplication. However, I have no idea how to start on part b, how do I find a spanning set for that subspace? If I am not mistaken, I have to find linear combinations.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, name one vector in the subspace. Can you find another one that's independent of the first? Can you find a third that's not a combination of those two?
  4. Jan 22, 2009 #3
    is (1,1,1) one of the vector? I am confused.
  5. Jan 22, 2009 #4

Staff: Mentor

x = -y - z
    y = y
    z = z

If you stare at this awhile, you might see two vectors staring back at you.
  6. Jan 22, 2009 #5

Only if 1 + 1 + 1 = 0.
  7. Jan 22, 2009 #6
    oh, ok. Tell me if this is right. Since x = -y-z , y=y , z=z hence (-y-z , y , z) . So x(0,0,0) + y(-1,1,0) + z(-1,0,1) , So the spanning sets are (0,0,0) , (-1,1,0) , (-1,0,1) But the given answers dont include (0,0,0) . before all that, how do you know y=y and z=z ? I only know why x = -y-z .
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  8. Jan 22, 2009 #7

Well, your set spans the subspace, but it also does so if you remove (0, 0, 0).

How did I know that y = y and z = z? The two equations are obviously true, aren't they?
  9. Jan 22, 2009 #8
    Ah, you got me there. They are obviously true. I was complicating stuffs, now looking back, that seemed a stupid question. OK, thanks, that did help me understand spanning sets better. Cheers
  10. Jan 22, 2009 #9

If it didn't seem like a stupid question then, but now it does, I guess that means you're getting smarter, which is a good thing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?